Velocity Reviews

-   -   A new approach by spammers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t191452-a-new-approach-by-spammers.html)

gangle 01-20-2004 02:56 AM

A new approach by spammers

Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
"[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net
Dear U.S. Bank account holder,

We regret to inform you, that we had to block your U.S. Bank
account because we have been notified that your account
may have been compromised by outside parties.

Our terms and conditions you agreed to state that your
account must always be under your control or those you
designate at all times. We have noticed some activity
related to your account that indicates that other parties
may have access and or control of your information
in your account.

These parties have in the past been involved with money
laundering, illegal drugs, terrorism and various Federal
Title 18 violations. In order that you may access your
account we must verify your identity by clicking on
the link below.

Please be aware that until we can verify your identity no
further access to your account will be allowed and we
will have no other liability for your account or any
transactions that may have occurred as a result
of your failure to reactivate your account as
instructed below.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

<<<<<<<<<<"verify identity" URL snipped>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Before you reactivate your account, all payments have been
frozen, and you will not be able to use your account in any
way until we have verified your identity.

Jesus H. Christ.

Boomer 01-20-2004 03:24 AM

Re: A new approach by spammers

"gangle" <gangle@mustard.yum> wrote in

> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net

Hopefully Earthlink is aggressive at stopping something like this.

But then... the spammers move on to another ISP. Sad!

Jay 01-20-2004 07:56 AM

"gangle" <gangle@mustard.yum> wrote in message
> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net
> Jesus H. Christ.

Same scam has been around for a while over here.
Without the biblical signature though.

Jay

William Poaster 01-20-2004 09:54 AM

Re: A new approach by spammers

It was on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:56:41 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that gangle wrote:

> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to determine if my email
> address is valid. The subject read: "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has
> been suspended." The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net
> Dear U.S. Bank account holder,

<snip>

A phishing expedition.
http://www.anti-phishing.org/report_phishing.htm

--
Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

Senti 01-20-2004 03:59 PM

Re: A new approach by spammers

gangle did mumble UvednYoCisJ6BZHdRVn-hA@giganews.com...

> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net

<snip>

Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
sad...

--
~SF~
My doctor gave me six months to live but when I couldn't pay the bill,

EricP 01-20-2004 04:30 PM

Re: A new approach by spammers

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:59:47 -0600, "Senti"
<sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>gangle did mumble UvednYoCisJ6BZHdRVn-hA@giganews.com...
>
>> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
>> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
>> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
>> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net

><snip>
>
>Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
>sad...

100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!

Sheesh!!

Jay 01-21-2004 04:56 AM

"EricP" <ericp@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:59:47 -0600, "Senti"
> <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >gangle did mumble UvednYoCisJ6BZHdRVn-hA@giganews.com...
> >
> >> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
> >> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
> >> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
> >> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net

> ><snip>
> >
> >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
> >sad...

> 100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!
>
> Sheesh!!

Look on the bright side... keeps us computer people in work!

Jay

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ 01-21-2004 09:16 PM

Jay wrote:

>>>Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...

>>100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!
>>Sheesh!!

> Look on the bright side... keeps us computer people in work!

To paraphrase Apocalypse Now:
"I love the smell of fresh brewed and condensed double-double Mocha
Espresso when I come into the Tech Support center in the morning.... It
smells like.... A new virus has been released!"

MichaelJ@BuffNET.net
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

frosty 02-06-2004 03:50 AM

Re: A new approach by spammers

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:59:47 -0600, "Senti"
<sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>gangle did mumble UvednYoCisJ6BZHdRVn-hA@giganews.com...
>
>> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
>> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
>> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
>> The "sender" was: Iwona_Ind@earthlink.net

><snip>
>
>Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
>sad...

Usually the newbies I find...I feel bad for them....

d w a c o n 02-07-2004 02:15 AM

"frosty" <frostythesnowman@home.ca> wrote in message

> >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
> >sad...

> Usually the newbies I find...I feel bad for them....

What was that P T Barnum said about a fool and their money ??

--

I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
http://tinyurl.com/34h7l