Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can I FAX from my PC? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t191076-how-can-i-fax-from-my-pc.html)

Paul Hoberg 01-16-2004 04:29 AM

How can I FAX from my PC?

I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
advance for your help.
Paul

Unk 01-16-2004 06:25 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <nospamphoberg@att.net>
wrote:

>I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
>capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
>way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
>dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
>advance for your help.
>Paul

You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based service.
http://www.efax.com/

The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.

Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next, and
follow the prompts.

Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.

Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
Express].")

Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder,
for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)

After you install it, here's how to use it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Blinky the Shark 01-16-2004 10:42 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

Paul Hoberg wrote:

> I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
> capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
> way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
> dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
> advance for your help.
> Paul

What Unk said, and with respect to your laptop, WinFaxPro is a killer fax
application -- check it out if you go with the laptop/dialup.

--
Blinky Registered Linux User #297263

Paul Hoberg 01-16-2004 04:35 PM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

Thanks, Unk. My laptop came with XP Home installed. I'll try what
you suggested, after confirming that it is indeed a FAX modem in the
computer. The suggestion to consider WinFax Pro is good, but free is
better, if it works.
Paul

Unk 01-17-2004 06:57 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

You're welcome.

Win 01-17-2004 10:11 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

ALL 56K Modems are fax modems and 33.6 and 28.8

Bill Coleman 01-30-2004 12:49 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for Windows 98/ME?
Can MS Fax be used on these systems?

Boomer 01-30-2004 02:30 AM

Re: How can I FAX from my PC?

Bill Coleman, <wbc@ripco.com> wrote:

> Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for
> Windows 98/ME? Can MS Fax be used on these systems?
>
> "Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message

[snip]

>> Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
>> to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
>>
>> Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
>> and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
>> Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
>> to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in
>> order to function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows
>> Messaging, Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the
>> full version, not Express].")
>>
>> Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
>> installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
>> Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read
>> the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder, for more detailed
>> information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
>>
>> After you install it, here's how to use it.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Did you read the above message?