Velocity Reviews

-   -   Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t190837-counterstrike-having-problems-on-dell-laptop.html)

S.V.Proff 01-13-2004 06:55 PM

Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
Dell laptop.

Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
but here are the specs and the operating system:

SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
384 MB
64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
WINDOWS XP HOME

I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
appropriate video card for this game.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Sam
[PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]

ICee 01-13-2004 07:22 PM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

S.V.Proff wrote:
> A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
> Dell laptop.
>
> Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
> but here are the specs and the operating system:
>
> SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> 384 MB
> 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> WINDOWS XP HOME
>
> I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
> appropriate video card for this game.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam
> [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]

Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
http://www.ati.com/products/mobility...000/index.html

Douglas Adams

Andy, just Andy 01-13-2004 07:53 PM

"ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:YzXMb.98$Tz1.185035@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .

> > SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> > 384 MB
> > 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > WINDOWS XP HOME

> Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon

9000
> only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
> http://www.ati.com/products/mobility...000/index.html

Counterstrike and the half-life engine on which it is based was
written before DirectX 8 was invented so it in fact does not require
DX9 support.

The radeon mobility (and the rest of the machine) is more than enough
to handle CS.

Exactly what problem and/or error messages does he get?

mhicaoidh 01-13-2004 07:54 PM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:

| Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
| video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
| only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
| http://www.ati.com/products/mobility...000/index.html

Counterstrike is not a DX9 game. I don't think it's even a DX8 game.
It is a mod from the original Half-Life game. HL's graphic engine is merely
a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. So, DirectX support should not be a
problem.

ICee 01-13-2004 08:04 PM

mhicaoidh wrote:
> Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:
>>
>> Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
>> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon
>> 9000 only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
>> http://www.ati.com/products/mobility...000/index.html

> Counterstrike is not a DX9 game. I don't think it's even a DX8
> game. It is a mod from the original Half-Life game. HL's graphic
> engine is merely a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. So, DirectX
> support should not be a problem.

Wasn't sure. Thought it was newer than that, but I don't keep up, as
you may have guessed. :)
Maybe he just needs to update DirectX on the laptop. Of course, as Andy
said, more info on the problem would be helpful.

Douglas Adams

Bertie 01-13-2004 10:15 PM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

When you say problems what do u mean?

pcbutts1 01-14-2004 02:12 AM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

His Video card is fine and it does handle DX90b My Mobility 7500 works
perfectly.

pcbutts1 01-14-2004 02:13 AM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

Try lowering the game Resolution.

news:ce6d4466.0401131055.690d9b16@posting.google.c om...

Joseph Oberlander 01-14-2004 06:20 AM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

My guess would be that the car doesn't properly uspport Open GL,
so it's defaulting to software mode.

ScratchMonkey 01-14-2004 06:18 PM

Re: Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

dontfixit@hotmail.com (S.V.Proff) wrote in
news:ce6d4466.0401131055.690d9b16@posting.google.c om:

> Newsgroups:
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.games.starsiege.tri bes,alt.games.half-li
> fe.counterstrike,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Why is tribes on the distribution list? (Followup set.)

Note that there's also an ATI newsgroup.