Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win98-Hibernation problems! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t190809-win98-hibernation-problems.html)

Craven Birds 01-13-2004 10:49 AM

Win98-Hibernation problems!

When I boot up I get the message:

Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.

Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.

I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
something I've installed but don't know what!
How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail, can
anyone help?

TIA

Craven Birds

ICee 01-13-2004 01:15 PM

Re: Win98-Hibernation problems!

Craven Birds wrote:
> When I boot up I get the message:
>
> Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
>
> Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
>
> I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
> something I've installed but don't know what!
> How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
> can anyone help?
>
> TIA
>
> Craven Birds

How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

Douglas Adams

Craven Birds 01-13-2004 02:29 PM

"ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Craven Birds wrote:
> > When I boot up I get the message:
> >
> > Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
> >
> > Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
> >
> > I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
> > something I've installed but don't know what!
> > How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
> > can anyone help?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Craven Birds

> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE

Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove a
stick of 128RAM every things OK!

The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for years.
I've checked memory modules and they are OK.

Baffled to say the least.

CB

ICee 01-13-2004 03:40 PM

Craven Birds wrote:
> "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Craven Birds wrote:
>>> When I boot up I get the message:
>>>
>>> Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
>>>
>>> Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
>>>
>>> I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
>>> something I've installed but don't know what!
>>> How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no
>>> avail, can anyone help?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Craven Birds

>> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
>
> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
> a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
>
> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
> years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
>
> Baffled to say the least.
>
> CB

Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

Douglas Adams

robert andrews 01-13-2004 03:47 PM

Re: Win98-Hibernation problems!

don't use hibernation, its too hard on your system, also, use ram of the
same make and amount, using a 256 and a 128 stick is ok but using 2 - 256
stick would be better for your system
"Craven Birds" <CB@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Craven Birds wrote:
> > > When I boot up I get the message:
> > >
> > > Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
> > >
> > > Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
> > >
> > > I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
> > > something I've installed but don't know what!
> > > How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
> > > can anyone help?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Craven Birds

> > How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
>
> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove a
> stick of 128RAM every things OK!
>
> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for

years.
> I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
>
> Baffled to say the least.
>
> CB

---

ICee 01-13-2004 04:11 PM

robert andrews wrote:
> don't use hibernation, its too hard on your system,

You certainly do want to use hibernate with a laptop. That's what
hibernation mode was designed for. How is it "hard" on a system?

also, use ram of
> the same make and amount, using a 256 and a 128 stick is ok but using
> 2 - 256 stick would be better for your system

That's only if you have a desktop system with a dual channel
motherboard, and then it's only a convention. Using memory of the same
type and make is good advice, but using 256 MB and 128 MB modules is
fine in any case.

> "Craven Birds" <CB@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

>> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
>>
>> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I
>> remove a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
>>
>> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK
>> for years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
>>
>> Baffled to say the least.
>>
>> CB
>>

> ---

Douglas Adams

Craven Birds 01-14-2004 06:12 AM

news:DjUMb.50$Tz1.133904@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .
> Craven Birds wrote:
> > "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

> > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
> >
> > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
> > a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
> >
> > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
> > years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
> >
> > Baffled to say the least.
> >
> > CB

> Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
> find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
> that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided it's the
Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.

As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried reformatting,
other OS's etc.

CB

ICee 01-14-2004 06:31 AM

Craven Birds wrote:
> ICee <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:DjUMb.50$Tz1.133904@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .
>> Craven Birds wrote:
>>> "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
>>>
>>> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I
>>> remove a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
>>>
>>> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK
>>> for years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
>>>
>>> Baffled to say the least.
>>>
>>> CB

>> Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it
>> can't find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup
>> everything that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

> Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided
> it's the Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
>
> As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried
> reformatting, other OS's etc.
>
> CB

You mentioned that you have a 128 MB module and a 256 Mb module and that
if the 128 MB module is in alone, it works alright. Does it work OK
with just the 256 MB module installed?
Was the 128 MB the original memory?

Douglas Adams

Craven Birds 01-14-2004 07:23 AM

> ICee <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:DjUMb.50$Tz1.133904@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .
> > Craven Birds wrote:
> > > "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> > > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
> > >
> > > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
> > > a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
> > >
> > > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
> > > years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
> > >
> > > Baffled to say the least.
> > >
> > > CB

> > Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
> > find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
> > that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

> Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided it's

the
> Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
>
> As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried reformatting,
> other OS's etc.

Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my FAT. Why
fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch wood)

CB

ICee 01-14-2004 07:27 AM

Craven Birds wrote:
> Craven Birds <CB@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> ICee <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:DjUMb.50$Tz1.133904@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .

>>> Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it
>>> can't find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup
>>> everything that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

>> Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided
>> it's the Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
>>
>> As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried
>> reformatting, other OS's etc.

> Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my
> FAT. Why fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch
> wood)
>

> CB

Excellent!

Douglas Adams