Velocity Reviews

-   -   Simple idiots website - Constructive comments welcomed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t190311-simple-idiots-website-constructive-comments-welcomed.html)

Chris Newey 01-08-2004 05:04 PM

Simple idiots website - Constructive comments welcomed

Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk

I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
- this website is work in progress

Thanks people

Boomer 01-08-2004 06:44 PM

Re: Simple idiots website - Constructive comments welcomed

Chris Newey <cnewey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
news:MPG.1a679dd85071b5cd989683@news.blueyonder.co .uk:

> Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
> www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
>
> I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
> Links page - this website is work in progress
>
> Thanks people

Fonts are a bit small. I use Mozilla 1.5
Also, I would not put my address on a web site.

Good luck on your site and I do hope you munge your address when
posting on usenet.

why? 01-08-2004 06:53 PM

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:

>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk

URL may fail to resolve on non Windows platforms due to silly use of
'Y', and your emil link.

>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
>- this website is work in progress

Start back at the home page before going on to others.

Fonts too small and the 'blueish' color is too pale.

You first line , <h3>Chris Newey's Website</h3>
it's either -
You didn't mean h3 and meant h1 as an intro heading.
Or you are incorrectly using h3 as a non heading element.

Use the <title></title> , rather than leaving it blank.

Frames, oh rats , and a blank noframes section as well. Oh great just
peachy, frames disabled and a totally blank page.

Argh! even worse

http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mainMenu.html
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
<HTML xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Claiming to be XHTML 1.0 strict and failing badly, and once these bits
are fixed watch out for the rest of it.

http://validator.w3.org/
File: mainMenu.html
Encoding: iso-8859-1
Doctype: -//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN
Errors: 60
Note: The Validator XML support has some limitations.
Line 5, column 9: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 13: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 17: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 21: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 25: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 29: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 33: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 37: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 41: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 45: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 49: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 53: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 57: multiple comments in comment declaration
Line 5, column 62: multiple comments in comment declaration
etc,.
This page is not Valid -//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN!

See the report.

Try and avoid mixed case, unless you are really sure the URL and the
filename match.
http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Home.html

Since you asked about links
http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Links.html, again.Get rid of that
pale color

Validator report
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...k%2FLinks.html
or shorter version , http://makeashorterlink.com/?W24362107
Errors: 108

Have a look at the XHTML spec, all the tags </HEAD> must be lowercase.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#recommendations i.e.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
this bit,
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs
4.2. Element and attribute names must be in lower case
4.3. For non-empty elements, end tags are required
4.6. Empty Elements
Empty elements must either have an end tag or the start tag must end

The XHTML 1.0 DTD
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
is not easy to read initially, but it's the allowed elements / syntax.

Tutorials.
http://www.w3schools.com/

CSS validator report
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...usermedium=all
fix the few errors, after all
or shorter version, http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q63325107

body {
font-size: 10pt;
line-height: 12pt;
color: #3675A3;
background: white;
margin-top:0;
margin-left:5;
margin-right:0;
}

margins what units, 0 or 5 light years, weeks, meters?

yucky, fixed pt font-size, why force on a person your font size. The
viewer should be allow to pick a font size they can read easily.
Some browsers like one of the most popular, have a bug not allowing
viewer to change the font size.

On some pages you have the correct

Other newsgroups,
alt.html
blueyonder.discussion.pwp

Why the mostly usless onmouseover?

It's too much, can't go any further..... argh!!! the bells the
bells.....

Me

why? 01-08-2004 07:06 PM

Re: Simple idiots website - Constructive comments welcomed

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:

>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
>
>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
>- this website is work in progress
>
>Thanks people

Went missing there for a few minutes :-)

http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT

What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and Netscape
7.1 -

Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)

Why the (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)? It's totally not needed.
Use something like mmm/dd/yyyy

Or better
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation

Especially authors of Web pages and software engineers who design user
interfaces, file formats, and communication protocols should be familiar
with ISO 8601.

About the earlier, mention of onmouseover

target="MainDisplayFrame"
class="lien"
onMouseOver="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='Orange':null;"
onmouseout="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='#3675A3':null;">Home</a>

What's wrong with setting the link and hover color? It's much simpler.

That's really enough now.

Me

Boomer 01-08-2004 07:09 PM

Re: Simple idiots website - Constructive comments welcomed

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:
>
>>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
>>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
>>
>>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
>>Links page - this website is work in progress
>>
>>Thanks people

> Went missing there for a few minutes :-)
>
> http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
> Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT
>
> What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and
> Netscape 7.1 -
>
> Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)
>
> Why the (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)? It's totally not
> needed. Use something like mmm/dd/yyyy
>
> Or better
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
> A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation
>
> Especially authors of Web pages and software engineers who design
> user interfaces, file formats, and communication protocols should
> be familiar with ISO 8601.
>

> About the earlier, mention of onmouseover

> target="MainDisplayFrame"
> class="lien"
> onMouseOver="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='Orange':null;"
> onmouseout="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='#3675A3':null;"
> >Home</a>

> What's wrong with setting the link and hover color? It's much
> simpler.
>

> That's really enough now.
>
> Me

If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about it!

;o) <jk>

Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site. :)

why? 01-08-2004 07:51 PM

On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
>news:sv9rvv49k6dmvus5dod9qkaktobkqabqai@4ax.com :
>

>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:
>>
>>>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
>>>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
>>>
>>>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
>>>Links page - this website is work in progress
>>>
>>>Thanks people

>> Went missing there for a few minutes :-)
>>
>> http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
>> Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT
>>
>> What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and
>> Netscape 7.1 -
>>
>> Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)

<snip>

>> That's really enough now.
>>
>> Me

>If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about it!

<chuckle> :]

Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had such a
lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents base
the ability to render a page using it, rather than rendering as it goes
along.

>;o) <jk>
>
>Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site. :)

Thanks, I think ;-)

Me

Boomer 01-08-2004 08:19 PM

> On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

[snip]
>>If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about
>>it!

> <chuckle> :]

;)

> Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
> such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
> It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
> declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents
> base the ability to render a page using it, rather than rendering
> as it goes along.
>

>>;o) <jk>
>>
>>Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site.
>>:)

> Thanks, I think ;-)
>
> Me

I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?

why? 01-08-2004 09:18 PM

On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
>news:6lcrvvgh2cv831pe8fnadg0d6uiuc1b2m6@4ax.com :
>

>> On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>[snip]
>>>If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about
>>>it!

>> <chuckle> :]

>;)
>

>> Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
>> such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
>> It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
>> declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents

<snip>

>>>Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site.
>>>:)

>> Thanks, I think ;-)
>>
>> Me

>I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?

Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other webpage
creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.

Me

why? 01-08-2004 09:48 PM

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:18:05 GMT, why? wrote:

>On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:
>
>>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
>>news:6lcrvvgh2cv831pe8fnadg0d6uiuc1b2m6@4ax.co m:
>>

>>> On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>>[snip]
>>>
>>> <chuckle> :]

>>;)
>>

>>> Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
>>> such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
>>> It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
>>> declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents

><snip>

>>> Thanks, I think ;-)
>>>
>>> Me

>>I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?
>>

>Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other webpage

Oops.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I Don't use ... ^^^^^^^

>creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.
>
>Me

Me

Boomer 01-08-2004 10:22 PM

> On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:

[snip]
>>I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's
>>Composer?

Thanks. :)

> Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other
> webpage creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.

That's cuz u is smart ;)