Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scheduled Task Won't Run (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t189963-scheduled-task-wont-run.html)

Phyllis 01-05-2004 02:46 AM

Scheduled Task Won't Run

Hi,

I run XP and for some reason the scheduled tasks that I have scheduled to
run at specific times are not running. Under status it says "The scheduled
task did not run because no user account or password was entered."

I do not use any sort of password to sign in on this computer. It is my
home computer. Any suggestions on how I can get this to automatically run?
I'm new to XP. This was never a problem when I had Windows 98 on my old
computer.

TIA,
Phyllis

Brian H 01-05-2004 03:21 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

Phyllis said:

> Hi,
>
> I run XP and for some reason the scheduled tasks that I have scheduled to
> run at specific times are not running. Under status it says "The scheduled
> task did not run because no user account or password was entered."
>
> I do not use any sort of password to sign in on this computer. It is my
> home computer. Any suggestions on how I can get this to automatically run?
> I'm new to XP. This was never a problem when I had Windows 98 on my old
> computer.
>
> TIA,
> Phyllis

Go to the task in Scheduled Tasks.
Right click the task and choose Properties.
Then go to the Settings tab.
Select any one of the boxes and click Apply, then deselect that same box and
click Apply again.
Now when you OK out of the scheduled task it will give you the autorising box,
just OK out of that.

Phyllis 01-05-2004 03:41 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

Thanks, I did as you suggested, but I never got the authorizing box.

PC 01-05-2004 03:51 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

"Phyllis" <ditdiddy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:Id4Kb.1902$eH3.1280@newssvr24.news.prodigy.co m...
> Hi,
>
> I run XP and for some reason the scheduled tasks that I have scheduled to
> run at specific times are not running. Under status it says "The

scheduled
> task did not run because no user account or password was entered."
>
> I do not use any sort of password to sign in on this computer. It is my
> home computer. Any suggestions on how I can get this to automatically

run?
> I'm new to XP. This was never a problem when I had Windows 98 on my old
> computer.
>
> TIA,
> Phyllis

Had somewhat similar problem, my 'fix' was to use a password to logon.

Control Panel, Users, Change and account, select the account, change
password.

Scheduled tasks ran every time then.
Note putting a password in at the authorisation stage of setting the
scheduled task up gave me an incorrect username or password error at run
time so your mileage may vary. (with no logon password)

This was on business machines so I could justify the 'logon password' under
the giuse of 'Security'

To make the 'logon' automatic' use TweakXP to do the logon for you.

Paul

Bishoop 01-05-2004 04:31 PM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

"Phyllis" <ditdiddy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:325Kb.2332$Fd4.963@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com ...
> Thanks, I did as you suggested, but I never got the authorizing box.
>
> "Brian H" <brian@invalid.absey-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > Phyllis said:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I run XP and for some reason the scheduled tasks that I have scheduled

> > > run at specific times are not running. Under status it says "The

> scheduled
> > > task did not run because no user account or password was entered."
> > >
> > > I do not use any sort of password to sign in on this computer. It is

my
> > > home computer. Any suggestions on how I can get this to automatically

> run?
> > > I'm new to XP. This was never a problem when I had Windows 98 on my

old
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Phyllis

> > Go to the task in Scheduled Tasks.
> > Right click the task and choose Properties.
> > Then go to the Settings tab.
> > Select any one of the boxes and click Apply, then deselect that same box

> and
> > click Apply again.
> > Now when you OK out of the scheduled task it will give you the

autorising
> box,
> > just OK out of that.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

Disable "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console
logon only"

Phyllis 01-07-2004 01:02 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

Hi, I did exactly as you instructed and I couldn't get it to clean up disk
at a specific time. I also rebooted the computer to see if that would make
a difference, but it did not. Any other suggestions I can try?

Phyllis 01-07-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

I tried this also, entered a password and confirmed in settings. Even that
didn't work. Just as well. I don't want to have to use a password if I
don't have to.

I have also now disabled the computer account (as described in above post)
to limit local account use of blank password to console logon only. It's
not working for me either and I hoped this would work... :(

PC 01-07-2004 09:06 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

"Phyllis" <ditdiddy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:NXIKb.207$jl3.142254146@newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
> I tried this also, entered a password and confirmed in settings. Even

that
> didn't work. Just as well. I don't want to have to use a password if I
> don't have to.
>
> I have also now disabled the computer account (as described in above post)
> to limit local account use of blank password to console logon only. It's
> not working for me either and I hoped this would work... :(
>
> --- a whole lot snipped out-------<

Hi Phyllis

Mmmmm frustrating isn't it. I did that 'disable Limit Local...Console logon
only' switch on my own machine and it worked a treat (XP Pro)

So this afternoon I went to try the same disable trick on a new XP home
installation and couldn't find the Local Security Policy Icon in the
Adminsitrative Tools window.

I could schedule a backup successfully (just a test one, backing up a single
file to CDRW) as long as I had logged on with a password and used the same
password when scheduling the backup.

But if I used a blank password at logon the scheduled backup wouldn't work.

Which suggests for yourself that there are issues other than this password
one that are preventing your scheduled tasks running.

According to O'reilly it's not a Pro/Home issue as they list 'secpol.msc' as
being available to both versions. But in my Home case it was missing from
Windows\System32.

As I said Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Some more research needed methinks

Cheers
Paul

Phyllis 01-08-2004 01:29 AM

Re: Scheduled Task Won't Run

Thanks for the input Paul. I'm knowledge about computers is somewhat
limited. I learn more trying to figure things out though. The wonderful
people in this newsgroup alone has taught me a lot. Thanks again.

Phyllis