Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disconnection. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t189341-disconnection.html)

Robert Harman 12-30-2003 02:02 PM

Disconnection.

Dear sir,

I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get so
far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

Brian H供 12-30-2003 02:19 PM

Re: Disconnection.

Robert Harman said:

> Dear sir,
>
> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get so
> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

Please put an extra shilling in the slot.

olfart 12-30-2003 02:26 PM

Re: Disconnection.

"Robert Harman" <rob.harman1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Dear sir,
>
> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV

hardware. The
> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try

I get so
> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt,

55% on
> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

Your ISP probably won't let you stay connected that long. Search
Google for a download accelerator such as Leech Get which supports
"resume" in case you are disconnected. That way you can restart where
you left off.

Brian H供 12-30-2003 02:38 PM

Re: Disconnection.

Robert Harman said:

> Dear sir,
>
> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get so
> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

The office's new year party is in full swing, and as slumpy is..well.. er...
slumped in a broom cupboard, I have been asked to let you know that once Milly
gets a couple of drinks (or is that drunks?) inside her, things really get
going.
As the office doesn't have a washing machine or spin-dryer, the pc towers are
just the right height to..well... anyway, the lads keep hitting the reset
button.
It is more than anyones life is worth to "coitus interruptus" just to point out
there are moments of "resetus interruptus" and that better care should be taken
whilst handling the "equipment".
I hope that shirley doesn't end up keying in
format c:
yes
yes
YES

--
Boy, was she in for it last year.

NT World Support Staff 12-30-2003 02:51 PM

Re: Disconnection.

Dear Robert,
Yes, we have been noticing that you are trying to download this file.
We simply do not want you to have this particular file and we
therefore halt the download and disconnect you before it has finished.

There are many matters of grave importance to global security, and we
are doing what we have to do in order to insure the safety of the
masses.
Perhaps, one day, when the world is a safer place, we will allow you
to download your file. Until then, please stay vigilant in the global
fight against terror.
You're either with us or against us.
Choose wisely.

gangle 12-30-2003 02:53 PM

Re: Disconnection.

2 Words: NTL sucks.

"Robert Harman" wrote

Harrison 12-30-2003 02:54 PM

Re: Disconnection.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:38:33 -0000, "Brian H供"
<brian@invalid.absey-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Robert Harman said:
>
>> Dear sir,
>>
>> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
>> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get so
>> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
>> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

>The office's new year party is in full swing, and as slumpy is..well.. er...
>slumped in a broom cupboard, I have been asked to let you know that once Milly
>gets a couple of drinks (or is that drunks?) inside her, things really get
>going.
>As the office doesn't have a washing machine or spin-dryer, the pc towers are
>just the right height to..well... anyway, the lads keep hitting the reset
>button.
>It is more than anyones life is worth to "coitus interruptus" just to point out
>there are moments of "resetus interruptus" and that better care should be taken
>whilst handling the "equipment".
>I hope that shirley doesn't end up keying in
>format c:
>yes
>yes
>YES

Good stuff.

555555 12-30-2003 02:58 PM

Re: Disconnection.

"Robert Harman" <rob.harman1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Dear sir,
>
> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get

so
> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

Dear sir, you are getting disconnected because Tesco disconnect you after 2
hours online. They do this so that you cannot download large files as they
believe that anyone downloading a large file is selfishly hogging bandwith
that can be used more efficiently by more customers so that Tesco can make
more money by signing up more customers than they have available bandwith
for. Or something like that. If you want to download a large file that takes
longer than 2 hours you should change to their 0845 number so that Tesco can
also make money from your phone call. You will notice that there is no cut
off time when you are paying for your internet connection by the length of
time you are connected. I myself are on broadband so I am connected
permanently so I do not have these problems. Another solution is to get
someone who is on broadband to download the file for you and burn it on a CD
and send it to you.

Brian H供 12-30-2003 03:02 PM

Re: Disconnection.

Harrison said:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:38:33 -0000, "Brian H供"
> <brian@invalid.absey-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Robert Harman said:
>>
>>> Dear sir,
>>>
>>> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware. The
>>> file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I try I get so
>>> far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one attempt, 55% on
>>> another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting disconnected.

>> The office's new year party is in full swing, and as slumpy is..well.. er...
>> slumped in a broom cupboard, I have been asked to let you know that once
>> Milly gets a couple of drinks (or is that drunks?) inside her, things really
>> get going.
>> As the office doesn't have a washing machine or spin-dryer, the pc towers are
>> just the right height to..well... anyway, the lads keep hitting the reset
>> button.
>> It is more than anyones life is worth to "coitus interruptus" just to point
>> out there are moments of "resetus interruptus" and that better care should
>> be taken whilst handling the "equipment".
>> I hope that shirley doesn't end up keying in
>> format c:
>> yes
>> yes
>> YES

> Good stuff.

Yes she is ;-)

michael turner 12-30-2003 04:01 PM

Re: Disconnection.

Robert Harman wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> I am trying to download upgrade drivers & software for PCTV hardware.
> The file size is 30mb and takes about 2hrs to download. Each time I
> try I get so far then I get disconnected!! I got as far as 75% on one
> attempt, 55% on another. Please could you tell me why I keep getting
> disconnected.

Your ISP probably has a two hour time-out on your dial-up account, most UK
dial-up internet is done this way. Find yourself a downloading client that
can resume broken downloads. Or get yourself broadband.