Velocity Reviews

-   -   mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t188029-mouse-click-on-scroll-button-repositions-text-cursor-all-of-a-sudden.html)

dan glenn 12-14-2003 08:39 AM

mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express 6)
and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:

1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere in
the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter) will
immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or down
many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!

2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now scrolling a
lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping much
in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date on
latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
there some registry setting that can fix this???

-dg

°Mike° 12-14-2003 10:06 AM

Re: mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

If you have the 824145 Internet Explorer update installed,
there is a bug in it that breaks the scroll in I.E. I wasn't
aware that it affected Windows XP, but it may do.

The only way (that I know of) to overcome this, is to uninstall
that update, but that would leave you vulnerable to the
security issues that the update addresses. Apparently, MS
are aware of the problem.

A work-around, if you have a three button scroll mouse, is
to depress the middle button until you get the scroll arrow,
and use the mouse to scroll.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:39:07 GMT, in
<LkVCb.38864$4F.32924@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com >
dan glenn scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

dan glenn 12-15-2003 05:24 AM

Re: mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

That was it, °Mike° - thanks. I do have a scroll wheel on my mouse, but
having to middle-click, drag to scroll, and middle-click again just to view
another portion of an email I am working on, just to keep the text cursor
from moving in the process, is a bit too much. I'm not that scared of the
fact that my computer, out of 10's of millions of computers on the net at
any one time, is vulnerable for certain security issues, and will wait until
M$ get's a fix for the security that does not break the scroll as well.

thanks again,
-dg

°Mike° 12-15-2003 06:58 AM

Re: mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

You're welcome.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:24:03 GMT, in
<SzbDb.39471$1x4.23177@newssvr29.news.prodigy.co m>
dan glenn scrawled: