Velocity Reviews

-   -   Intel P4 celeron chips (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t187444-intel-p4-celeron-chips.html)

tim 12-07-2003 05:30 PM

Intel P4 celeron chips

I don't get it,when I mention the above, peoples reaction are stay away from
it.

can someone tell me whats wrong with these?

HamMan 12-07-2003 05:41 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

"tim" <porky@saint.porky> wrote in message
> I don't get it,when I mention the above, peoples reaction are stay away

from
> it.
>
> can someone tell me whats wrong with these?

Celerons and Durons have half (or less depending on version) of the internal
CPU cache that the more expensive P4 or AthXP. End result is a PC which
takes 30secs to load word 2000.

If youre thinking about getting a celeron, dont, get a nice Athlon XP for
far less. It will out preform it by miles.

Ralph Wade Phillips 12-07-2003 05:56 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

Howdy!

"tim" <porky@saint.porky> wrote in message
> I don't get it,when I mention the above, peoples reaction are stay away

from
> it.
>
> can someone tell me whats wrong with these?

Nothing really. It's a P4 that has half the cache disabled, so it
runs a bit slower (USUALLY!)

Plus, Celerons based on the P4 can only run (CURRENTLY!) at 400MHz
FSB, unlike a full P4, that is available at up to 800MHz FSB.

OTOH, for your average joe, anything over about 2GHz (2,000 MHz)
will be plenty fast enough (AVERAGE joe - the gamers, 3D modelers, and
Processor Penis Size War players need not answer ...)

RwP (who's writing this missive on a system based on the XP-1700+
.... and who plans to be getting his P4 back running soonest)

Harrison 12-07-2003 06:33 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

P4 and Celeron are two different products made by the same company.
Analogous to Camry and Prius, which are both made by Toyota. Get it?

Barry Walsh 12-07-2003 06:46 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

tim wrote:
> I don't get it,when I mention the above, peoples reaction are stay away from
> it.
>
> can someone tell me whats wrong with these?

Read this

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927

and you'll know why to avoid them.

Zknb 12-07-2003 07:23 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

It comes down to this...

What are you going to do with the computer?

Are you going to be using it for general purpose computing like
"Office" apps and internet access?

If you are the Cellerons are just fine.

I am still using a socket 370 celleron 1.0 Ghz over clocked to 1.2Ghz
Windows XP-Pro and Word2000 starts in 3.75 seconds.

How much faster do you really need Word to start?

I have a Dell P4 2.4Ghz at work. You know it really does not seem that
much faster then my celleron here at home. Sure Word may start in 1.5
seconds on the P4 but I cant tell the difference.

This computer is plenty fast for daily computing and internet usage. I
don't play a lot of games but with a decent video card (I have a GF3)
its performance is still not that bad and plenty playable.

So unless you are just after bragging rights save your money

Zknb 12-07-2003 07:25 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

Pure BS

I have a Celeron 1.0 over clocked to 1.2 Ghz and Word 2000 loads in
3.75 seconds.

I just timed it.

HamMan 12-07-2003 08:01 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

"Zknb" <kjdbn@akjer.dfew.fdse.trwew.assss.fgre.sdfgvsawe. com> wrote in
message news:ghv6tv8ttv0qudn733667gkc0nuu23bdme@netnews.co mcast.net...
> Pure BS
>
> I have a Celeron 1.0 over clocked to 1.2 Ghz and Word 2000 loads in
> 3.75 seconds.
>
> I just timed it.

Now add in the RM effect in the machines i have to put up with every day.

Harrison 12-07-2003 08:31 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

That's pretty damned slow.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:25:38 GMT, Zknb

Zknb 12-07-2003 08:58 PM

Re: Intel P4 celeron chips

Yeah, well untill they have a CPU fast enough to open Word, type,
format my document, and print it before I even click on the Word icon,
this is fast enough for me.