Velocity Reviews

-   -   Trojan? Home page, Google, Yahoo redirected. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t186824-trojan-home-page-google-yahoo-redirected.html)

Steak and potatoes 11-30-2003 03:59 AM

Trojan? Home page, Google, Yahoo redirected.

Hi,

I get linked to "umaxsearch.com" whenever I go to my home page.
I get a metasearch or lucky search with google.com in the address bar
or yahoo.com whenever I want to go to yahoo or google.

What can I do to get rid of this problem. I've tried latest adaware
update and it didn't work. Tried to restore settings to a previous
date using msconfig, but didn't work either.

Really burns my tokus.

Thanks in advance.

Harrison 11-30-2003 04:05 AM

Re: Trojan? Home page, Google, Yahoo redirected.

Use Hijackthis and remove the HOST file changes.

Steak and potatoes 11-30-2003 04:33 AM

Re: Trojan? Home page, Google, Yahoo redirected.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:05:43 -0500, Harrison
<nothanksonthespam@gainpro.invalid.net> wrote:

>Use Hijackthis and remove the HOST file changes.

Excellent! Cleaned it all out. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Harrison 11-30-2003 04:39 AM

Re: Trojan? Home page, Google, Yahoo redirected.

Glad to help.
Consider Spyware Blaster as a preventative measure against future
attacks.

Richard 11-30-2003 06:18 AM

Steak! wrote:

> Hi,

> I get linked to "umaxsearch.com" whenever I go to my home page.
> I get a metasearch or lucky search with google.com in the address bar
> or yahoo.com whenever I want to go to yahoo or google.

> What can I do to get rid of this problem. I've tried latest adaware
> update and it didn't work. Tried to restore settings to a previous
> date using msconfig, but didn't work either.

> Really burns my tokus.

> Thanks in advance.

You'll find an entry in the registry. Open the regisrty, search for the
domain name and delete all references to it.
If you don't want to delete anything, rename the domain name to google or
yahoo and say, "screw you bubba".