Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t186027-can-computer-or-internet-interfere-with-other-peoples-tv-reception-channel-5-a.html)

cu@thebar.com 11-19-2003 05:56 PM

Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
Thanks for any speedy advice.

Allen Tomlinson
iam@ease13now.freeserve.co.uk
remove (now) from above

°Mike° 11-19-2003 06:54 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

Reception Advice
http://www.aerialservices.co.uk/pages/recepadv.html

Computer Equipment Interference
http://www.aca.gov.au/radcomm/public..._computer.html

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, in
<k5bnrvkophq5djua7unohbji7kvgpc08rc@4ax.com>
cu@thebar.com scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

EricP 11-19-2003 07:04 PM

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, cu@thebar.com wrote:

>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
>I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
>I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
>I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
>always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
>So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
>Thanks for any speedy advice.
>
>Allen Tomlinson
>iam@ease13now.freeserve.co.uk
>remove (now) from above

Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not yours.

chrisrobin 11-19-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

It can interfere. My own experience, when i work on some computers in my
work room with the motherboard out on the table for testing it would
interfere with my tv w/dtv. but when its in the case is ok.

Ray 11-19-2003 07:20 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

<cu@thebar.com> wrote in message
> A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
> I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
> I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
> I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
> always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
> So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
> reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
> Thanks for any speedy advice.
>
> Allen Tomlinson
> iam@ease13now.freeserve.co.uk
> remove (now) from above

Allen, there's an easy way to check this out. If you are on speaking terms
with the guy get him to switch to ch5 without your computer operating and
then check out for any change when you switch on your PC.

Another point, do you know the transmitter serving your area, my guess that
it is either 'Belmont' or 'Emley Moor' or could be a relay from either one
of these main stations.

All PCs put out a ceratin amount of RF and from personal experience I can
confirm that the RF put out by my PC does cause TVI on the frequency used by
'Emley Moor' to transmit Ch5.
If you both use analogue TV check it out on your own TV first.

If it does not cause you problems, tell him to get his aerial checked out.
If he uses an indoor aerial, tell him to get an outdoor one.

You are not legally responsible for his problems, unless it can be proved
that you system is defective.

I thought my wife was the only person who watches channel 5:-)

Not Nice Anymore 11-19-2003 07:28 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

Yes, of course!

Anonymous 11-19-2003 08:33 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

Allen,

All electrical equipment (including your PC and monitor) has to be
tested for electro Magnetic Compatability (EMC) and be CE marked
before it can be legally sold in the EEC. The CE mark is all the proof
that you need to show that your PC is not affecting his TV.

Regards

nemo

cu@thebar.com 11-19-2003 09:21 PM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, cu@thebar.com wrote:

>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
>I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
>I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
>I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
>always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
>So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
>Thanks for any speedy advice.
>
>Allen Tomlinson
>iam@ease13now.freeserve.co.uk
>remove (now) from above

A very grateful thanks to all respondents on this Q.
I will approach the guy tomorrow and pursue the good advice given.
Once again, thankyou to everyone!

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ 11-20-2003 03:20 AM

EricP wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, cu@thebar.com wrote:

>>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
>>I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
>>I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
>>I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
>>always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
>>So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
>>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
>>Thanks for any speedy advice.

> Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
> for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not yours.

I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz

Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong signals
in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything offhand...
Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.

Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal somehow
and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's more than
likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to solve.

Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in as a
good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the FCC come
down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

MichaelJ@BuffNET.net
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Thund3rstruck 11-20-2003 04:05 AM

Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception (channel 5)?

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ Spilled my beer when they jumped on
the table and proclaimed in <3fbc3323_1@news3.buffnet.net>:

> EricP wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, cu@thebar.com wrote:

>>>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that
>>>when I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel
>>>5.....? I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I
>>>feel that I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact
>>>channel 5 is always difficult to pick up or get a good picture
>>>around here. So, does anyone know if computers or internet will
>>>affect TV
>>>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
>>>Thanks for any speedy advice.

>> Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
>> for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not
>> yours.

> I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
> According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
> Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz
>
> Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong
> signals in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything
> offhand... Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.
>
> Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal
> somehow and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's
> more than likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to
> solve.
>
> Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in
> as a good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the
> FCC come down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

Problem is, the OP is in England. <G>

But you're basically correct, except the freqs may be different...

NOI