Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Word file attachment to hard drive? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t185662-word-file-attachment-to-hard-drive.html)

Viewasku1977 11-15-2003 05:28 AM

Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
I just tried to copy a word file attached to my email to my hard drive. I
chose Save As but the link created opens a window that shows a connection
timeout. I also tried to save the file as an HTML page, and that didn't work
either. I assume I'm doing this wrong? What is the best way to save a Word
attachment (.doc extension) to your hard drive?

Thanks for any help.

Boomer 11-15-2003 05:35 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
viewasku1977@aol.comnojuno (Viewasku1977) wrote in
news:20031115002802.18993.00000279@mb-m18.aol.com:

> I just tried to copy a word file attached to my email to my hard
> drive. I chose Save As but the link created opens a window that
> shows a connection timeout. I also tried to save the file as an
> HTML page, and that didn't work either. I assume I'm doing this
> wrong? What is the best way to save a Word attachment (.doc
> extension) to your hard drive?
>
> Thanks for any help.


Hi

Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?

~˘makey$ 11-15-2003 05:40 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
In outlook express you click on the attachment paperclip on upper right-hand
side of message, then save to a location that you prefer on your hardrive.
Usually if you have word installed, double-clicking on the attachment
paperclip will automatically open word, then you can choose to save as to a
location you prefer on your hardrive.

"Viewasku1977" <viewasku1977@aol.comnojuno> wrote in message
news:20031115002802.18993.00000279@mb-m18.aol.com...
> I just tried to copy a word file attached to my email to my hard drive. I
> chose Save As but the link created opens a window that shows a connection
> timeout. I also tried to save the file as an HTML page, and that didn't

work
> either. I assume I'm doing this wrong? What is the best way to save a

Word
> attachment (.doc extension) to your hard drive?
>
> Thanks for any help.




Viewasku1977 11-15-2003 05:51 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
From: Boomer
>Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
>


Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file just to
check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on what's just a shortcut
and what's its own file that isn't linked to the original attachment in the
email. Thanks for your help.


Boomer 11-15-2003 06:07 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
viewasku1977@aol.comnojuno (Viewasku1977) wrote in
news:20031115005104.18993.00000280@mb-m18.aol.com:

> Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
> From: Boomer
>>Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
>>

>
> Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file
> just to check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on
> what's just a shortcut and what's its own file that isn't linked
> to the original attachment in the email. Thanks for your help.
>


I would transfer it out of your temp file and place it in a file like
"My Documents". Once it's safe there and you are sure you can open it
from there... sure you can delete the e-mail.

Boomer 11-15-2003 06:13 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
viewasku1977@aol.comnojuno (Viewasku1977) wrote in
news:20031115005104.18993.00000280@mb-m18.aol.com:

> Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
> From: Boomer
>>Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
>>

>
> Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file
> just to check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on
> what's just a shortcut and what's its own file that isn't linked
> to the original attachment in the email. Thanks for your help.


Find where ever your *.doc is.
"Cut" it from that file folder and "paste" it into a file folder like
"My Documents".
Then make sure you can open that *.doc file once it is placed there.

Does that make sense?

Viewasku1977 11-15-2003 06:29 AM

Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
 
>I would transfer it out of your temp file and place it in a file like
>"My Documents". Once it's safe there and you are sure you can open it
>from there... sure you can delete the e-mail.
>


Great! I just moved the file to My Documents and it opened ok. Guess I'll go
delete the email now. My fear was that completely removing the original source
would cause the new file not to function correctly. I guess it doesn't work
like that?


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.