Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer shut down (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t184980-computer-shut-down.html)

Liz 11-07-2003 04:18 AM

Computer shut down

Does anyone know what would make a computer shut itself down? Since 6pm
tonight, my computer has completely shut itself off 4 times. I'm either
doing something on the web or reading my mail and it just quits...shuts
off....dead. I can't figure out what is going on. There is nothing wrong
with the plug. Everything is plugged into a strip I have and my TV, modem,
monitor and printer are all in this strip but they do not turn off. It's
only the computer. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Liz

Harrison 11-07-2003 04:36 AM

Re: Computer shut down

What OS are you using?
It could be shutting down due to overheating.
It could be a virus, a trojan or other malware.
Do you have antivirus, and is it up to date?
Have you checked for spyware?
If XP or NT, have you checked the event viewer?

SgtMinor 11-07-2003 04:40 AM

Re: Computer shut down

Could it be overheating? Is the exhaust fan in the back turning?
Dustbunnies in the air exhaust area? Is the computer out in the open or
in a confined space? Air needs to circulate through the machine. You
may need to remove the cover and blow out the innards with a can of
compressed air.

Liz 11-07-2003 04:40 AM

Re: Computer shut down

"Harrison" <nothanksonthespam@gainpro.com> wrote in message
| What OS are you using?

***WIN ME

| It could be shutting down due to overheating.

***Thought of that so put a fan behind it to cool it off. It stayed on for
40 min. then but still shut off.

| It could be a virus, a trojan or other malware.
| Do you have antivirus, and is it up to date?

***Norton Pro and I have auto update working.

| Have you checked for spyware?

***Not yet. I'll do that now.

Thanks Liz

M ppS 11-07-2003 04:45 AM

Re: Computer shut down

One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
Give that a try for starters.

Mr.SlippyFist 11-07-2003 04:53 AM

Re: Computer shut down

M ppS wrote:
> One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
> for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
> www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
> Give that a try for starters.
>

> "Liz" <noone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know what would make a computer shut itself down? Since
>> 6pm tonight, my computer has completely shut itself off 4 times.
>> I'm either doing something on the web or reading my mail and it just
>> quits...shuts off....dead. I can't figure out what is going on.
>> There is nothing wrong with the plug. Everything is plugged into a
>> strip I have and my TV, modem, monitor and printer are all in this
>> strip but they do not turn off. It's only the computer. Any ideas?
>> Thanks!
>> Liz

DMan, if you are referring to the Blaster and Welchia worms, they only make
your computer restart not completely shut down.
--
"If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody."

Liz 11-07-2003 04:53 AM

Re: Computer shut down

I'm wondering that too. I put a fan back there since I can't get the cover
off tonight. It will have to wait until my husband can do it tomorrow.
That is next on my list of things to try. I've had this computer for
several years and never had this problem. It's on the floor but has over a
foot of clearance at the back of it where the vent is. It's only got about
1/2" on either side tho'. Thanks Liz

news:3FAB222A.2F5D0B62@the.old.folks.home.invalid. ..

Harrison 11-07-2003 05:27 AM

Re: Computer shut down

A fan behind it probably won't have much effect on overheating inside
the case.

Krft 11-07-2003 10:27 AM

Re: Computer shut down

Mr.SlippyFist wrote:
> M ppS wrote:
>> One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
>> for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
>> www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
>> Give that a try for starters.
>>

>> "Liz" <noone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know what would make a computer shut itself down?
>>> Since 6pm tonight, my computer has completely shut itself off 4
>>> times. I'm either doing something on the web or reading my mail
>>> and it just quits...shuts off....dead. I can't figure out what
>>> is going on. There is nothing wrong with the plug. Everything is
>>> plugged into a strip I have and my TV, modem, monitor and printer
>>> are all in this strip but they do not turn off. It's only the
>>> computer. Any ideas? Thanks!
>>> Liz

> DMan, if you are referring to the Blaster and Welchia worms, they
> only make your computer restart not completely shut down.

& more importantly they didn't affect WinME...

--
B-)
Don't practice safe hex,