Velocity Reviews

-   -   Urgent Help Needed-IT Management (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t184917-urgent-help-needed-it-management.html)

Mark Rosenbaum 11-06-2003 01:30 PM

Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
post to.

I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
suggestions, and help on the items listed below.

Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
suggest where I might find some on the web.

Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me I
will need to make some for the dept.

I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for installed
systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the server
room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.

Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
running an MIS dept.

Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to be
applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.

Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

Harrison 11-06-2003 01:49 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

Your company has made a grievous error.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:30:51 -0500, "Mark Rosenbaum"
<mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
>post to.
>
>I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
>department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
>that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
>suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
>

>Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
>suggest where I might find some on the web.
>
>Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me I
>will need to make some for the dept.
>
>I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for installed
>systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the server
>room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
>
>Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
>running an MIS dept.
>
>Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to be
>applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
>
>Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
>mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

1-2-Phenyl-1-Fluorostyryl-Indolo-Cyclododecan-1-2-Tert-Butyl-2-Ethanediylidenetetrathiotetraacetic-A 11-06-2003 01:53 PM

Mark Rosenbaum wrote:
> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
> groups to post to.
>
> I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire
> MIS/IT department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so
> many problems that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated
> anyone's advice, suggestions, and help on the items listed below.

And the ship sinks...

slumpy 11-06-2003 02:29 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

With a rumble and a belch Mark Rosenbaum decided to put the World to rights
with this little speech from the heart...

> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
> groups to post to.

I'd employ someone to do it for you - expecting a gardener to repair the
master's Rolls Royce is never a good idea.
--
slumpy
no more

hugh jass 11-06-2003 03:03 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

Yes, employ somebody who really knows what they are doing and then make it
look like you are supervising them so you can take the credit.
best of luck

--
______________________
:
: > Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
: > groups to post to.
:
: I'd employ someone to do it for you - expecting a gardener to repair the
: master's Rolls Royce is never a good idea.
: --
: slumpy
: no more
: no less
: just slumpy
:
:

slumpy 11-06-2003 04:13 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

With a rumble and a belch hugh jass decided to put the World to rights with
this little speech from the heart...

>> With a rumble and a belch Mark Rosenbaum decided to put the World to
>> rights with this little speech from the heart...
>>
>>> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
>>> groups to post to.

>> I'd employ someone to do it for you - expecting a gardener to repair
>> the master's Rolls Royce is never a good idea.

> Yes, employ somebody who really knows what they are doing and then
> make it look like you are supervising them so you can take the credit.
> best of luck

Ooh good call - that benefit passed me by ;-)
--
slumpy
no more

why? 11-06-2003 05:15 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:30:51 -0500, Mark Rosenbaum wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.networking

>Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
>post to.

Get a new job fast......

>I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
>department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems

Leave..... buy wig ....

<snip>

Me

Robert R Kircher, Jr. 11-06-2003 05:52 PM

Mark Rosenbaum wrote:
> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
> groups to post to.
>
> I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire
> MIS/IT department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so
> many problems that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated
> anyone's advice, suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
>

> Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT
> dept. or suggest where I might find some on the web.
>
> Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off
> to me I will need to make some for the dept.
>
> I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for
> installed systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be
> done to the server room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find
> any.
>
> Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows
> of running an MIS dept.
>
> Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid
> needs to be applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
>
> Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
> mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

I'm sure there are lots of people how could give you some solid advice but
1) we'd need alot more detail, and 2) many of us get paid for that kind of
advice. Speaking for myself, I guess I don't mind giving the occasional
free advice with specific issues, because I suspect I'd get the same in
return when I had a problem, but you are asking us to do lots more then help
with a simple problem.

My advice, hire a MIS/IT manager or look for some short term consultant
help.

--

Rob

Sherry 11-06-2003 06:03 PM

"Mark Rosenbaum" <mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
> post to.
>
> I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
> department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
> that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
> suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
>

> Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
> suggest where I might find some on the web.
>
> Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me

> will need to make some for the dept.
>
> I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for

installed
> systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the

server
> room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
>
> Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
> running an MIS dept.
>
> Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to

be
> applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
>
> Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
> mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

Check out www.techrepublic.com. They have downloadable forms for IT stuff,
etc.

---

Gary G. Taylor 11-07-2003 02:20 AM

Mark Rosenbaum wrote:

> Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
> post to.
>
> I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
> department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
> that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
> suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
>

> Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
> suggest where I might find some on the web.
>
> Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me
> I will need to make some for the dept.
>
> I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for
> installed
> systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the
> server room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
>
> Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
> running an MIS dept.
>
> Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to
> be applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
>
> Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
> mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

You poor bastard. I sympathize with you.
I would start looking for a new job right now ... you'll need it, probably
sooner than you think.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA