Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t184522-completely-stuck-with-new-shuttle-computer.html)

SR 11-02-2003 06:20 AM

Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
Got a new computer... and nothing works as desired!:-)
Well, it's a "Shuttle clone" BIOSTAR iDEQ 200P. It contains an AMD Athlon 64
3200+ and a 160 GB UltraATA 100 hard drive.
The Bios shows 160 GB, but Windows XP sees and formats only 130 GB. Only one
partitions since there was no choice.
I selected NTFS format...
Windows installed OK.
Somebody told me to reinstall again, since Windows might now offer the
creation of partitions. I did that and got the following message soon after:

C:\Partition 1 [NTFS] 131062 MB
Unpartitioned Space 8 MB

Then I wanted delete the entire Windows program and start again.
It says "To delete the selected partition, press D."
I got a message that mentioned that I couldn't delete since there were some
system files... whatever.
Then I remembered that disks in NTFS format cannot be deleted like FAT 16 or
32 format (read it somewhere).

Now saying it in other words: I am stuck!

How do I go from here?
I have Windows XP Pro loaded and could proceed installing software on the
existing 130GB.
Which Windows compatible software is downloadable (commercial or free) that
can erase the NTFS format to start from scratch; I have a USB memory stick?
Or what do I need to do to get the remaining 30 GB recognized? I also have a
180 GB hard drive which I'd like to add as a slave? Same problem as with the
160 GB model.

Have you got any magic up your sleeve on how to proceed?



__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>


Mara 11-02-2003 06:42 AM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
On 2 Nov 2003 06:20:10 GMT, SR wrote:

>Got a new computer... and nothing works as desired!:-)
>Well, it's a "Shuttle clone" BIOSTAR iDEQ 200P. It contains an AMD Athlon 64
>3200+ and a 160 GB UltraATA 100 hard drive.
>The Bios shows 160 GB, but Windows XP sees and formats only 130 GB. Only one
>partitions since there was no choice.
>I selected NTFS format...
>Windows installed OK.
>Somebody told me to reinstall again, since Windows might now offer the
>creation of partitions. I did that and got the following message soon after:
>
>C:\Partition 1 [NTFS] 131062 MB
> Unpartitioned Space 8 MB
>
>Then I wanted delete the entire Windows program and start again.
>It says "To delete the selected partition, press D."
>I got a message that mentioned that I couldn't delete since there were some
>system files... whatever.
>Then I remembered that disks in NTFS format cannot be deleted like FAT 16 or
>32 format (read it somewhere).
>
>Now saying it in other words: I am stuck!


Deleting NTFS partitions:

http://www.kamworld.net/chris/tech/w...eleteNTFS.html

>
>How do I go from here?
>I have Windows XP Pro loaded and could proceed installing software on the
>existing 130GB.
>Which Windows compatible software is downloadable (commercial or free) that
>can erase the NTFS format to start from scratch; I have a USB memory stick?
>Or what do I need to do to get the remaining 30 GB recognized? I also have a
>180 GB hard drive which I'd like to add as a slave? Same problem as with the
>160 GB model.
>
>Have you got any magic up your sleeve on how to proceed?


Biostar support is here:

http://biostar-usa.com/techmain.asp

--
Stupidity, when maintained long enough, _is_ a form of malice.
-- Richard's corollary to Hanlon's Razor

SR 11-02-2003 07:20 AM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
> Biostar support is here:
>
> http://biostar-usa.com/techmain.asp
>


Thanks for this one...

BUT NOT FOR THIS ONE!!!

> http://www.kamworld.net/chris/tech/w...eleteNTFS.html
>
>

***************************************
CHARACTERISTICS
If this trojan is run, it will overwrite the first physical sector
(i.e. the Master Boot Record) on the first and second hard drives on the
machine. This will destroy the partition tables and make the hard drives
inaccessible.
***************************************

My anti-virus software reports the above... It not only deletes NTFS
files but renders your machine and HD unusable.




__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>


slumpy 11-02-2003 01:34 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
threw back my head and roared with laughter as SR continued:

> Got a new computer... and nothing works as desired!:-)


Sounds like you should stop blundering around and get someone who knows
to sort it.
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy


Mara 11-02-2003 02:51 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
On 2 Nov 2003 07:20:50 GMT, SR wrote:

>> Biostar support is here:
>>
>> http://biostar-usa.com/techmain.asp
>>

>
>Thanks for this one...
>
>BUT NOT FOR THIS ONE!!!
>
>> http://www.kamworld.net/chris/tech/w...eleteNTFS.html
>>
>>

>***************************************
> CHARACTERISTICS
> If this trojan is run, it will overwrite the first physical sector
>(i.e. the Master Boot Record) on the first and second hard drives on the
>machine. This will destroy the partition tables and make the hard drives
>inaccessible.
> ***************************************
>
> My anti-virus software reports the above... It not only deletes NTFS
>files but renders your machine and HD unusable.


I'm sorry - I wasn't aware that it was considered malware, and for that I
apologise. My bad. :(

It renders the hdd unusable _because_ the partitions are gone. And if the
partitions are gone, the hard drive, and thus the system, is unusable, until
it's repartitioned and reformatted. Did I misread your post, or did you intend
to delete the NTFS partitions?

In order to delete NTFS partitions you will have to delete the old MBR anyway -
that's also what I have to do when uninstalling Linux and reformatting the hdd
to FAT32, because I used Grub.

OTOH, you might find something here that will help, if you just want to try to
recover them:

http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

--
I always try to go the extra mile at work, but my boss always
finds me and brings me back.

William Poaster 11-02-2003 03:24 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
It was on Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:51:35 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2003 07:20:50 GMT, SR wrote:
>
>>> Biostar support is here:
>>>
>>> http://biostar-usa.com/techmain.asp
>>>

>>
>>Thanks for this one...
>>
>>BUT NOT FOR THIS ONE!!!
>>
>>> http://www.kamworld.net/chris/tech/w...eleteNTFS.html
>>>
>>>

>>***************************************
>> CHARACTERISTICS
>> If this trojan is run, it will overwrite the first physical sector
>>(i.e. the Master Boot Record) on the first and second hard drives on the
>>machine. This will destroy the partition tables and make the hard drives
>>inaccessible.
>> ***************************************
>>
>> My anti-virus software reports the above... It not only deletes NTFS
>>files but renders your machine and HD unusable.

>
> I'm sorry - I wasn't aware that it was considered malware, and for that I
> apologise. My bad. :(


It's NOT malware. It was originally part of a M$ Resource Kit in
the old NT 3.1 CD. It can be a very useful file when you need it. :-)
It's probably detected that way, because of the changes it makes
and that actually, it is a very useful tool.

The official Microsoft KB article for the problem, & a link to
download the NT Resource Kit containing delpart (though it's over
4 MB though for the whole package!! ) is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q103049

> It renders the hdd unusable _because_ the partitions are gone. And if the
> partitions are gone, the hard drive, and thus the system, is unusable, until
> it's repartitioned and reformatted. Did I misread your post, or did you intend
> to delete the NTFS partitions?
>
> In order to delete NTFS partitions you will have to delete the old MBR anyway -
> that's also what I have to do when uninstalling Linux and reformatting the hdd
> to FAT32, because I used Grub.
>
> OTOH, you might find something here that will help, if you just want to try to
> recover them:
>
> http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm



Mara 11-02-2003 03:41 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:24:12 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

>It was on Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:51:35 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
>large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:


<snip>
>> I'm sorry - I wasn't aware that it was considered malware, and for that I
>> apologise. My bad. :(

>
>It's NOT malware. It was originally part of a M$ Resource Kit in
>the old NT 3.1 CD. It can be a very useful file when you need it. :-)
>It's probably detected that way, because of the changes it makes
>and that actually, it is a very useful tool.


That makes sense. I'm not sure why I remembered Delpart - it's been so long
since I've messed with 3.1 or 3.11 that I can't even remember how to install
programs in it. LOL

I mainly just run FAT32, even with 2k, for ease of use. So, I've used Fdisk for
that. The Reiserfs partitions threw me for a loop the first time I tried to
uninstall SuSE - then I felt kind of stupid when I found out that all you had to
do was use SuSE itself to delete the partitions. But that's what happens when
you're a Linux newbie, I guess. <g>

"Hopefully, that won't last very long, once 9 is installed."


>The official Microsoft KB article for the problem, & a link to
>download the NT Resource Kit containing delpart (though it's over
>4 MB though for the whole package!! ) is here:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q103049


Thanks. :) I *knew* it was legit, but there's been so much stuff come down the
pipe since that was published, and there have been so many changes to computer
hardware and software that's it's almost mandatory to forget the obsolete stuff.
('Cept in °Mike°'s case, of course - I don't think he ever forgets anything.
<g>)

"Though once in awhile, remembering the old crap comes in handy."

--
I always try to go the extra mile at work, but my boss always
finds me and brings me back.

°Mike° 11-02-2003 03:57 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:41:47 -0600, in
<0o8aqv4doqvbrgst5rfjcl9s6eseuh7v2p@4ax.com>
Mara scrawled:


<snip>

>Thanks. :) I *knew* it was legit, but there's been so much stuff come down the
>pipe since that was published, and there have been so many changes to computer
>hardware and software that's it's almost mandatory to forget the obsolete stuff.
>('Cept in °Mike°'s case, of course - I don't think he ever forgets anything.
><g>)


Forgets what? :)

--
"Am I dreaming?"


William Poaster 11-02-2003 04:36 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
It was on Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:57:32 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that °Mike° wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:41:47 -0600, in
> <0o8aqv4doqvbrgst5rfjcl9s6eseuh7v2p@4ax.com>
> Mara scrawled:
>
>
> <snip>
>
>>Thanks. :) I *knew* it was legit, but there's been so much stuff come down the
>>pipe since that was published, and there have been so many changes to computer
>>hardware and software that's it's almost mandatory to forget the obsolete stuff.
>>('Cept in °Mike°'s case, of course - I don't think he ever forgets anything.
>><g>)

>
> Forgets what? :)


Um...I dunno, I've forgotten.. <g>

Mara 11-02-2003 04:37 PM

Re: Completely stuck with new Shuttle computer...
 
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:57:32 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:41:47 -0600, in
> <0o8aqv4doqvbrgst5rfjcl9s6eseuh7v2p@4ax.com>
> Mara scrawled:
>
>
><snip>
>
>>Thanks. :) I *knew* it was legit, but there's been so much stuff come down the
>>pipe since that was published, and there have been so many changes to computer
>>hardware and software that's it's almost mandatory to forget the obsolete stuff.
>>('Cept in °Mike°'s case, of course - I don't think he ever forgets anything.
>><g>)

>
>Forgets what? :)


Huh?! ;)

>
>--
>"Am I dreaming?"


"Who am I? Where am I? What day is this, and why am I in this handbasket? ;)"

--
I always try to go the extra mile at work, but my boss always
finds me and brings me back.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.