Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft word information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t183690-microsoft-word-information.html)

~˘makey$ 10-23-2003 02:39 PM

Microsoft word information

I had read somewhere how to show information on microsoft word document.
eg. who created, dates of changes etc. Much to my dismay, now the
information shows up on all of my stored microsoft word documents. How do I
rid myself of this?

SgtMinor 10-23-2003 06:07 PM

Re: Microsoft word information

You are right to be concerned about this information being contained in
your documents. It can backfire. See for instance: "Microsoft Word
bytes Tony Blair in the butt,"

http://www.computerbytesman.com/privacy/blair.htm

Like many MS 'features' it's not easy to undo. Check out this MS
article: "HOW TO: Minimize Metadata in Microsoft Word 2000 Documents"

If you're not using Word 2000, click on the links to Word 97 or Word
2002 in the article.

Good luck

~˘makey$ 10-24-2003 02:27 AM

Re: Microsoft word information

I have over 300 word documents that all have the same thing showing on the
end of the documents after I tried to reveal this information. I appreciate
the information from you SgtMinor and is helpful to prevent information
showing up in future documents. If I don't manuall go in to each document
and highlight and delete, it will even print out the below. I do have Word
2000 by the way. It is nightmare to have to go to the end of each document
to remove the example below this.
Thanks

Normal

Normal

Default Paragraph Font

John F. Doe

John F. Doe

C:\1adata\Docs\Dist squads.doc

C:\1adata\Docs\Dist squads.doc

Unknown˙!

Times New Roman

Times New Roman

Symbol

Symbol

Dist #

Dist #

John F. Doe

John F. Doe

John F. Doe

John F. Doe

Dist #

John F. Doe

Normal.dot

John F. Doe

Microsoft Word 9.0

Dist #

Root Entry

1Table

1Table

WordDocument

WordDocument

SummaryInformation

SummaryInformation

DocumentSummaryInformation

DocumentSummaryInformation

CompObj

CompObj

ObjectPool

ObjectPool

Microsoft Word Document

MSWordDoc

Word.Document.8

news:3F9818F7.CD096D81@the.old.folks.home.invalid. ..

SgtMinor 10-24-2003 02:51 AM

Re: Microsoft word information

Quoting from Smith's article: "As a general rule, Word document files
which are converted to RTF files, HTML files, or PDF files will not
contain revision logs and other metadata."

I'd be concerned about metadata mostly with files I need to share with
others. If that's your problem, you could save it in one of the above
formats before you send it off, or 'save as' and re-import into Word
after you turn off all the attribution, and send it as a 'clean' doc
file. You're bound to lose some formatting, but it might be quicker
than manually stripping off all the info.

Liz 10-24-2003 03:53 AM

Re: Microsoft word information

Open Microsoft Word, click the yellow "Open" folder icon,
when the Open dialog box pops up, take a look at the bottom of the box,
if the "Files of type" is set to "Recover Text From Any File", you need
to change it to "All Word Documents". This should removed all the
properties on your document.

"~˘makey$" wrote:
> I have over 300 word documents that all have the same thing showing on the
> end of the documents after I tried to reveal this information. I appreciate
> the information from you SgtMinor and is helpful to prevent information
> showing up in future documents. If I don't manuall go in to each document
> and highlight and delete, it will even print out the below. I do have Word
> 2000 by the way. It is nightmare to have to go to the end of each document
> to remove the example below this.
> Thanks
>
> Normal
>
> Normal
>
> Default Paragraph Font
>
> Default Paragraph Font
>
> John F. Doe
>
> John F. Doe
>
> C:\1adata\Docs\Dist squads.doc
>
> C:\1adata\Docs\Dist squads.doc
>
> Unknown˙!
>
> Times New Roman
>
> Times New Roman
>
> Symbol
>
> Symbol
>
> Dist #
>
> Dist #
>
> John F. Doe

8<

~˘makey$ 10-24-2003 02:29 PM

Re: Microsoft word information

Thanks to both of you for helping me, first to Sgt Minor for showing me how
to remove my information from future docs and to Liz for getting my
additional information off of the sheet for me.
Thanks
Greatly appreciative.

SgtMinor 10-24-2003 03:07 PM

Re: Microsoft word information

You are welcome. I learned something myself from Liz's tip.

gangle 10-24-2003 03:09 PM

Re: Microsoft word information

Liz is really good at getting people off on the sheet.

"~˘makey$" wrote

gangle 10-24-2003 03:13 PM

Re: Microsoft word information

Yeah, Liz has nice tips.