Velocity Reviews

-   -   SCSI U160 Adapter work with U320 HD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t183472-scsi-u160-adapter-work-with-u320-hd.html)

porkscratching 10-20-2003 07:43 PM

SCSI U160 Adapter work with U320 HD?

I've been asked to look at HD's for an upgrade at work. All I know is the
machine has an SCSI Ultra 160 Adapter. Would a SCSI Ultra320 HD work with
the U160 Adapter? (maybe at the lower speed)

Stevo 10-20-2003 08:20 PM

Re: SCSI U160 Adapter work with U320 HD?

porkscratching wrote:
> I've been asked to look at HD's for an upgrade at work. All I know is
> the machine has an SCSI Ultra 160 Adapter. Would a SCSI Ultra320 HD
> work with the U160 Adapter? (maybe at the lower speed)

Tha Adaptec family of U160 and U320 controllers for example, have both 68
pin and legacy 50 pin connectors so they work with a variety of SCSI
protocols. Most (if not all - never seen one without) U160/320 drives have
the 68 pin connector so they are compatible in that way, so the U320 drive
will work on a U160 adapter, but yes the data transfer rate would be slower
and the parameters might need some tweaking but in a lot of cases the
adapters are smart enough to sense the drive/s attached and adjust
accordingly.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)