Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Outlook Express Not Responding ??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t183306-outlook-express-not-responding.html)

Anne 10-19-2003 01:14 AM

Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6

Hi,
I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
email addresses in my address book!
I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
reported by McaFee, on the computer.
Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
Thanks.
Anne


Mara 10-19-2003 01:33 AM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:14:00 +0100, Anne wrote:

>Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
>
>Hi,
>I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
>immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
>W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
>email addresses in my address book!
>I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
>the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
>Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
>through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
>reported by McaFee, on the computer.
>Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
>from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
>to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
>Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
>How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
>Thanks.
>Anne


Did you disable System Restore first?

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html


--
I've always wanted to be an executioner, that's why I became a sysadmin.
-- Jim Howes, nanae

Frederic 10-19-2003 01:36 AM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
It's supposed to say which file is infected. You used the removal tool but
did you scanned your computer with mcafee?
dumaru virus replace some files as detailed in the dumaru white paper
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...dumaru@mm.html
you may want to uninstall outlook express and to reinstall it

--
Frederic
MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+
------------------------------------------------------
http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com
------------------------------------------------------


"Anne" <littletawny@blueyonder.co.ukinvalid> wrote in message
news:oFlkb.1849$hA6.594@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
>
> Hi,
> I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
> immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
> W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
> email addresses in my address book!
> I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
> the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
> Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
> through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
> reported by McaFee, on the computer.
> Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
> from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
> to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
> Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
> How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
> Thanks.
> Anne
>




Sir Horatio William Bernhart Wagglesworth III, Esq. 10-19-2003 01:46 AM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
Anne wrote:
> Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
>


<snip>

Stupid ****.



Anne 10-19-2003 07:02 AM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 

"Mara" <go@awaynow.becauseIsaidso.com> wrote in message
news:39q3pvcffgmgbluduomv2dnkbtf595i42g@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:14:00 +0100, Anne wrote:
>
> >Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
> >
> >Hi,
> >I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend.

McaFee
> >immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
> >W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders.

No
> >email addresses in my address book!
> >I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool,

re-booted
> >the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
> >Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
> >through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
> >reported by McaFee, on the computer.
> >Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
> >from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook

Express
> >to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
> >Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
> >How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
> >Thanks.
> >Anne

>
> Did you disable System Restore first?
>
> http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html
>
>
> --
> I've always wanted to be an executioner, that's why I became a

sysadmin.
>


-- Jim Howes, nanae

Hi Mara, thanks for replying.

Yes, system restore disabled. Tried to repair IE6 /OE6, no joy. I've
deleted old email addresses and made new ones. Outlook Express set up
right, but is still not responding. I agree McAFee isn't the best AV
Software around, but was on the computer when I got it, and still has a
few months to run before it expires, I really don't know much about AV
Software, but, yes, am willing to try a different one. Sophos say no
infection found. Anne


Anne 10-19-2003 07:09 AM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
Thanks for replying.

I wouldn't know how to uninstall/reinstall Outlook Express, sorry,
fairly new user.
I ran McAFee, and Stinger, no infection found!
Anne.


"Frederic" <frederic_quebec2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:TTlkb.96513$uG5.1907423@weber.videotron.net.. .
> It's supposed to say which file is infected. You used the removal tool

but
> did you scanned your computer with mcafee?
> dumaru virus replace some files as detailed in the dumaru white paper
>

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...2.dumaru@mm.ht
ml
> you may want to uninstall outlook express and to reinstall it
>
> --
> Frederic
> MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> "Anne" <littletawny@blueyonder.co.ukinvalid> wrote in message
> news:oFlkb.1849$hA6.594@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
> >
> > Hi,
> > I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend.

McaFee
> > immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
> > W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders.

No
> > email addresses in my address book!
> > I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool,

re-booted
> > the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
> > Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
> > through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
> > reported by McaFee, on the computer.
> > Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup

message
> > from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook

Express
> > to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
> > Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
> > How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
> > Thanks.
> > Anne
> >

>
>



Blair 10-19-2003 06:42 PM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 
Anne,

I had a similar problem recently, which was being caused by McAfee Virus
Scan 'spotting' a mail with an infected attachment, and was preventing it
from downloading, resulting in messages saying the POP3 server is not
responding... hopefully this is the case with you, try this.

This is how I cured it:-

1. Open the Security Centre
2. Click on the configure Virus Scan Option
3. Click on Active Shield Tab
4. Untick 'Scan e-mail attachments
5 Click OK

I found that if I tried saving any suspicious files to a temporary folder,
McAfee still detected the virus.
In my case it was also the Dumara virus that was being reported, but when I
scanned my PC there was no Virus present, and the file reported has having
the virus also did not exist.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Blair

"Anne" <littletawny@blueyonder.co.ukinvalid> wrote in message
news:oFlkb.1849$hA6.594@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
>
> Hi,
> I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
> immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
> W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
> email addresses in my address book!
> I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
> the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
> Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
> through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
> reported by McaFee, on the computer.
> Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
> from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
> to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
> Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
> How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
> Thanks.
> Anne
>




Anne 10-20-2003 12:17 PM

Re: Outlook Express Not Responding ???
 

"Blair" <blair@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
news:bmuluh$fsl$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Anne,
>
> I had a similar problem recently, which was being caused by McAfee

Virus
> Scan 'spotting' a mail with an infected attachment, and was preventing

it
> from downloading, resulting in messages saying the POP3 server is not
> responding... hopefully this is the case with you, try this.
>
> This is how I cured it:-
>
> 1. Open the Security Centre
> 2. Click on the configure Virus Scan Option
> 3. Click on Active Shield Tab
> 4. Untick 'Scan e-mail attachments
> 5 Click OK
>
> I found that if I tried saving any suspicious files to a temporary

folder,
> McAfee still detected the virus.
> In my case it was also the Dumara virus that was being reported, but

when I
> scanned my PC there was no Virus present, and the file reported has

having
> the virus also did not exist.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Blair
>
> "Anne" <littletawny@blueyonder.co.ukinvalid> wrote in message
> news:oFlkb.1849$hA6.594@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
> >
> > Hi,
> > I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend.

McaFee
> > immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
> > W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders.

No
> > email addresses in my address book!
> > I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool,

re-booted
> > the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
> > Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
> > through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
> > reported by McaFee, on the computer.
> > Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup

message
> > from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook

Express
> > to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
> > Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
> > How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
> > Thanks.
> > Anne



Thank you Blair, haven't got McAfee scanning emails, in or out. I made
new email addresses and removed all the old ones and the popup messages
disappeared.
I had got a backup disc for XP, but when I tried to use it found it to
be corrupted, so I now need to make a new one.
Anne.



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.