Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t182928-multi-boot-system-win98se-wont-boot.html)

Frank J. Fedel 10-14-2003 04:44 PM

Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

Multi-boot system: WinXP, WinNT, Win98SE using Boot Magic.

I just tried installing Logitech cam software on my 98SE OS, and about 90%
of the way through installation, the system locked up. I rebooted, and
selected 98SE again, but it locked up before completing it's bootup (I was
able to login, but it stopped right after).

Can't boot into Safe Mode; same thing happens - it locks up.

Any ideas? At least XP is working, so I can write/send this.

Thanks!

Frank

Harrison 10-14-2003 04:47 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

Since you are at least starting the boot phase od 98SE, the multi-boot
part is irrelevant. Beyond that, sound like the cam software hosed
98SE.
Unless you really need 98SE, and NT too for that matter, I recommend
going to XP exclusively.

°Mike° 10-14-2003 04:51 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:44:29 -0400, in
<4qidnbIbBomMuhGiU-KYiQ@wideopenwest.com>
Frank J. Fedel scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

PreviousPoster 10-14-2003 05:08 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

Doesn't this presuppose my ability to get into Win98SE? I can't get it to
load, so how do I start my troubleshooting? #1 says, "On the General
tab..." but I can't get my Win98SE to boot... Can I do it another way?

PreviousPoster 10-14-2003 05:09 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

I might just do that down the road, but how do I save all of the information
on my desktop, etc.? I'd like to at least have access to the files I've
saved there (as well as programs on the C: drive).

- Frank (again)

Brian H¹© 10-14-2003 05:14 PM

PreviousPoster said:

> I might just do that down the road, but how do I save all of the information
> on my desktop, etc.? I'd like to at least have access to the files I've
> saved there (as well as programs on the C: drive).
>
> - Frank (again)

No wonder you have system problems, don't save files to your desktop, save them
to a folder somewhere else.
If you are able to boot with a different OS, navigate to the folders and
save/move the content.

Harrison 10-14-2003 05:16 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

The Windows 98 and NT partitions should be visible from XP.
Copy the files you want to save over to the XP partition, or simply
leave them there and delete Windows systems files and program files
that are no longer needed. Then use your XP CD to reset the boot
record for XP only.

°Mike° 10-14-2003 05:28 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

Boot into DOS and type:

scanreg /restore

Choose a date prior to the problem.

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:08:29 -0400, in
<IPydnQ118dkTsBGiU-KYiw@wideopenwest.com>
PreviousPoster scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

PreviousPoster 10-14-2003 05:46 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

Thanks for the suggestion; I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, after
I did the scanreg, my system did the same thing. I am not thrilled with
Logitech's software right now...

- Frank

PreviousPoster 10-14-2003 05:50 PM

Re: Multi-boot system; Win98SE won't boot

I occasionally save files TEMPORARILY to the desktop for later printing (I
find that it's easy to remember I have to do something with them when
they're staring me in the face).

Thanks for the suggestion of booting with anothe OS & saving files; I'll
probably do that as a safety measure. One other question: since I have a
lot of programs installed using Win98, I'd really like to keep it for now,
until I install all of them on XP. Any suggestions?

- Frank