Velocity Reviews

-   -   Finalize CD-R (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t182648-finalize-cd-r.html)

Roger Duke 10-12-2003 12:27 AM

Finalize CD-R

I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5 selecting
"Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all the files when I
load the disc into the PC.

I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need to
finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load the
disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because the
"Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.

Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
long-winded.

TIA
Roger

docmill 10-12-2003 12:44 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

"Roger Duke" <roger.kREMOVE-THIS@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
> selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
> the files when I load the disc into the PC.
>
> I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
> to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
> the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
> the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
>
> Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
> long-winded.
>
> TIA
> Roger

You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
From the Help files

If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here are
some suggestions:

The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
drive.

Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
data from a session that is not finalized.

--
+++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

Roger Duke 10-12-2003 01:02 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

"docmill" <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in message
news:Xns9411AB84E5B5Edocmillexcitenyetcom@216.168. 3.44...
> "Roger Duke" <roger.kREMOVE-THIS@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
> > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
> > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
> > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
> >
> > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
> > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
> > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
> > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
> >
> > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
> > long-winded.
> >
> > TIA
> > Roger
> >

> You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
> From the Help files
>
> If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here

are
> some suggestions:
>
> The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
> drive.
>
> Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
> containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
> data from a session that is not finalized.
>

> --
> +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
> Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

OK thanks. The problem is I don't know if the recipient has a CD-R or CD-ROM
so it sounds like I need to play safe and finalize. However I can't see how
to - except by adding an unnecessary file or burning another CD. I'm sure
I'm missing the obvious.

Roger

Brian H 10-12-2003 01:05 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

Roger Duke said:

> "docmill" <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in message
> news:Xns9411AB84E5B5Edocmillexcitenyetcom@216.168. 3.44...
>> "Roger Duke" <roger.kREMOVE-THIS@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
>>> selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
>>> the files when I load the disc into the PC.
>>>
>>> I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
>>> to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
>>> the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
>>> the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
>>>
>>> Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
>>> long-winded.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Roger
>>>

>> You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
>> From the Help files
>>
>> If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here are
>> some suggestions:
>>
>> The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
>> drive.
>>
>> Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
>> containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
>> data from a session that is not finalized.
>>

>> --
>> +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
>> Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

> OK thanks. The problem is I don't know if the recipient has a CD-R or CD-ROM
> so it sounds like I need to play safe and finalize. However I can't see how
> to - except by adding an unnecessary file or burning another CD. I'm sure
> I'm missing the obvious.
>
> Roger

Create an empty txt file and burn that to the disc.

The Old Sourdough 10-12-2003 01:31 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message

> I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
> selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
> the files when I load the disc into the PC.
>
> I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
> to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
> the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
> the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
>
> Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
> long-winded.
>
> TIA
> Roger

If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a multi-
session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions. The
best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD. That
way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :-)

--
The Old Sourdough
No of SETI units returned: 2215

Roger Duke 10-12-2003 10:26 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

"The Old Sourdough" <dontcallme@illcall.you> wrote in message
news:Xns9411D0BBDA352Bcx25Yti54oP@216.196.97.132.. .
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
> boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message
>
> > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
> > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
> > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
> >
> > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
> > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
> > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
> > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
> >
> > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
> > long-winded.
> >
> > TIA
> > Roger
> >

> If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a

multi-
> session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.

The
> best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.

That
> way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
> today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :-)
>
> --
> The Old Sourdough
> No of SETI units returned: 2215
> Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
> (Total hours: 38189)
> www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC with
a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.

Roger
--
Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

Jarhead 10-12-2003 08:06 PM

Re: Finalize CD-R

"Roger Duke" <roger.kREMOVE-THIS@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

| "The Old Sourdough" <dontcallme@illcall.you> wrote in message
| news:Xns9411D0BBDA352Bcx25Yti54oP@216.196.97.132.. .
| > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
| > boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message
| >
| > > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
| > > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
| > > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
| > >
| > > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first
need
| > > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I
load
| > > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize
because
| > > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
| > >
| > > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
| > > long-winded.
| > >
| > > TIA
| > > Roger
| > >

| > If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a
| multi-
| > session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.
| The
| > best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.
| That
| > way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
| > today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :-)
| >
| > --
| > The Old Sourdough
| > No of SETI units returned: 2215
| > Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
| > (Total hours: 38189)
| > www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
|
| Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
| something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
| you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC
with
| a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.
|
| Roger
| --
| Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

When I eject the CDR using the prompt on the drive in use, (right click
drive icon and choose eject), The Adaptech: CD wizard comes up and asks if I
want to finalize or leave open for another session. It does this every time
I open the CDR until I do finalize it for reading in other drives.

Jarhead

Davidv 11-12-2003 05:50 AM

Re: Finalize CD-R

"Jarhead" <Jarhead@excited.invalid> wrote in message news:<vojd44ridoei10@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Roger Duke" <roger.kREMOVE-THIS@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "The Old Sourdough" <dontcallme@illcall.you> wrote in message
> | news:Xns9411D0BBDA352Bcx25Yti54oP@216.196.97.132.. .
> | > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
> | > boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message

> need
> load
> because

> | > If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a
> multi-
> | > session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.
> The
> | > best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.
> That
> | > way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
> | > today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :-)
> | >
> | > --
> | > The Old Sourdough
> | > No of SETI units returned: 2215
> | > Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
> | > (Total hours: 38189)
> | > www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
> |
> | Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
> | something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
> | you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC
> with
> | a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.
> |
> | Roger
> | --
> | Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
> |

> When I eject the CDR using the prompt on the drive in use, (right click
> drive icon and choose eject), The Adaptech: CD wizard comes up and asks if I
> want to finalize or leave open for another session. It does this every time
> I open the CDR until I do finalize it for reading in other drives.
>
> Jarhead

>> I found a method for Finalizing CD without having to burn/create

another session.
1) First of all import the current sessions on the CD via the menu "CD
- Import session".
2) Once you have done that then simply press the "Record" button after
selecting "Finalize CD" inthe "Record Method" section.
3) Once this finalizing takes place the CD will be finalized. You can
check by trying to import the session again. You will find that you
cannot read the sessions again.

Regards
DavidV