Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Traffic analyser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t182170-traffic-analyser.html)

Louis 10-06-2003 02:17 AM

Traffic analyser
 
I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What is my
potential customer looking for? So I can provide what they want if it is
within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are not
listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because some are
being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the consumer.
But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the site
soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and then
discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?
Louis




Richard 10-06-2003 04:14 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
Louis wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What
> is my
> potential customer looking for? So I can provide what they want if it
> is
> within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are
> not
> listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because
> some are
> being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the
> consumer.
> But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the
> site
> soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and
> then
> discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?
> Louis


Hopefully this will get crossposted for you.
If not, ask the question in the listed group above. Alt.www.webmaster.
The gurus there are heavily involved with running servers and deal with this
stuff daily.

What you could try doing though is, running a script that would save the
search string into an array.
Once the array reaches a certain number, save the array contents to a text
file then reset the array to zero.




Billy 10-06-2003 04:26 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
Think about it. You usually have one chance to make a sale. Wouldn't it
be better to show it when they first look for it?

"Louis" <sales@bargain-network-usa.com> wrote in message
news:3h4gb.31827$3S.12519@newsread2.news.atl.earth link.net...
> I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What

is my
> potential customer looking for? So I can provide what they want if it

is
> within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are

not
> listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because

some are
> being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the

consumer.
> But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the

site
> soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and

then
> discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?
> Louis
>
>
>




Richard 10-06-2003 05:33 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
Billy wrote:

> Think about it. You usually have one chance to make a sale. Wouldn't
> it
> be better to show it when they first look for it?


There is a limitation of which can be shown on a website.
Go to your favorite food store and check out how many varities of "Fritos"
they carry.
Do you realize how many there are?
Even a store has a limit as to what it can stock.
A business owner doesn't carry something until enough people ask for it.
Why get stuck with tons of useless stuff?
Knowing what is being looked for the most, would most certainly help in
getting out that information better.
If your competition has it available online, are you gonna get any sales
because you don't? Even though you undersell your competition?



Billy 10-06-2003 06:14 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
He has it in the product line. Wants to post it after the search. Don't
know about you, but I look, I find and compare I buy. I don't dick
around and check back later. Even a non fancy txt list (could be a copy
of the inventory listing) lets me know it is available, you want to sell
it or hold it?

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
news:blqur3010lj@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Billy wrote:
>
> > Think about it. You usually have one chance to make a sale.

Wouldn't
> > it
> > be better to show it when they first look for it?

>
> There is a limitation of which can be shown on a website.
> Go to your favorite food store and check out how many varities of

"Fritos"
> they carry.
> Do you realize how many there are?
> Even a store has a limit as to what it can stock.
> A business owner doesn't carry something until enough people ask for

it.
> Why get stuck with tons of useless stuff?
> Knowing what is being looked for the most, would most certainly help

in
> getting out that information better.
> If your competition has it available online, are you gonna get any

sales
> because you don't? Even though you undersell your competition?
>
>




William Tasso 10-06-2003 06:51 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
Richard wrote:
> Louis wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site.

> What is my potential customer looking for?


External search engines (google etc.) - the search string will be in your
site logs. For internal search engines you will have to mod the script to
capture the query string.

> So I can provide what they want if
>> it is
>> within my product line. I have over 5000 products, all of which are
>> not
>> listed on the web site directly. I don't list all products because
>> some are
>> being faded out, some are good for the wholesaler rather than the
>> consumer.
>> But if I have it in my product line, I want to get it posted to the
>> site
>> soon after the potential customer visits hoping they will return and
>> then
>> discover I now have what they want. Any suggestions?


this is all a bit reactive - have you considered loading all the products sp
that the visitor knows right away that you have what they need?


>
> What you could try doing though is, running a script that would save
> the search string into an array.
> Once the array reaches a certain number, save the array contents to a
> text file then reset the array to zero.


aye - once you have the data captured by a script you can do whatever you
like with it - sms or email perhaps if it's urgent.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com



Matt Probert 10-06-2003 07:01 AM

Re: Traffic analyser
 
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:14:27 -0500 "Richard" <anom@anom> broke off
from drinking a cup of tea at http://extra.newsguy.com to write:

> Louis wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a way to capture the searches made on my site. What
>> is my potential customer looking for?


Analyse your web logs, if you use 'Analog' you'll see the search words
used to locate your site from external search engines.

If you use your own internal search facility, echo the search words to
a file for later analysis.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.