Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger - What difference? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t182012-windows-messenger-msn-messenger-what-difference.html)

Bob Fleming 10-04-2003 05:55 AM

Hi, I am currently running Windows XP which had Windows Messenger 4.7 on it.
I recently installed a similar product called MSN Messenger 6 thinking that
was an update. Result is that now I cannot get voice and video connections
anymore and and have screwed up "remote assistance" as well.

Question;
Is "Windows Messaging 4.7" distinctly different from "MSN Messenger 6" and
should I have stuck with Windows Messaging that came with WinXP in the first
place?

Many thanks,

Bob.

Rosco 10-04-2003 07:17 AM

Re: Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger - What difference?

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are indeed differnet, but not by
much. Windows Messener is integrated into XP as part of the OS and MSN
Messenger is an addon for all versions of Windows.(not sure about 3.1)
To restore Windows Messegner, simply uninstall MSN Messenger then go to
this link
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
Click on the "here" part of "If you are running a version older than
4.7.2000, click here to upgrade" That should restore everything

Bob Fleming 10-04-2003 07:49 AM

Re: Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger - What difference?

Rosco,

Many thanks.

Bob.

news:Xns940A16ECDB12Arosco111shawuscom@209.25.157. 130...

Rosco 10-04-2003 10:23 AM

Re: Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger - What difference?

No problem, hope it helps

"Bob Fleming" <bob.flemingNO_5PAM@tesco.net> wrote in news:hYufb.6351
$QH3.6031@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net: