Velocity Reviews

-   -   Saving attachments in OE6 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181846-saving-attachments-in-oe6.html)

slylittlei 10-02-2003 04:11 PM

Saving attachments in OE6

....a minor annoyance, but still:
When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window is a
subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a location of my
choosing?
In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something to, but
now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
<whinge, gripe, moan...>

Rick Merrill 10-02-2003 04:19 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

slylittlei wrote:

> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window is a
> subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a location of my
> choosing?
> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something to, but
> now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...

"Viewing and Opening Attachments

If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type that Netscape can display (such as graphic files and HTML files), you see the attachment displayed inline
(in the body of the message). For other file types, Mail & Newsgroups lets you open the attachment using another application, or you can save the attachment on your
hard disk.

Tip: To read your messages without waiting for any attachments to download, you can disable attachment display. From the View menu, choose Display Attachments Inline to
remove the checkmark and turn off attachment display.

To open the attachment, make sure you have a program on your computer that can open files of the same type as the attachment's file format. For example, if you want to
open a .DOC file, make sure you have a program on your computer that can open .DOC files.

To open an attachment:

1. Double-click the attachment you want (if there is more than one).
2. In the Downloading dialog box, choose what you want Netscape to do with the attachment:

* If Netscape finds an application on your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can open the attachment using that application. Click "Choose" to use
a different application to open the attachment.
* If Netscape can't find an application on your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can save the attachment. You won't be able to open the
attachment, but at least you can save it on your hard disk until you can install an application that can open it.
* Click "Advanced" to add a new file type to the list of helper applications. Netscape uses helper applications to determine how different file types are
opened by other applications from within Netscape. For more information, see Managing Different File Types.
3. Click OK.

NB: If you are viewing your mail using an IMAP mail server, all attachments remain on the server!

Switch him/her to Netscape :-))

Idle 10-02-2003 04:26 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

Rick Merrill mentioned this:

> slylittlei wrote:
>
>> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
>> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the
>> window is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that
>> default to a location of my choosing?
>> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved
>> something to, but now I have to browse to the right place
>> everytime... I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE
>> sites I've tried...

> "Viewing and Opening Attachments
>
> If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type
> that Netscape can display

<snip>

OE6

slylittlei 10-02-2003 04:31 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
arboreal in it's habits: Rick Merrill stated for the record...
> slylittlei wrote:
>
>> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
>> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
>> is a
>> subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
>> location of my
>> choosing?
>> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
>> to, but
>> now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
>> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...

> "Viewing and Opening Attachments
>
> If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type that
> Netscape can display (such as graphic files and HTML files), you see
> the attachment displayed inline (in the body of the message). For
> other file types, Mail & Newsgroups lets you open the attachment
> using another application, or you can save the attachment on your
> hard disk.
>
> Tip: To read your messages without waiting for any attachments to
> download, you can disable attachment display. From the View menu,
> choose Display Attachments Inline to remove the checkmark and turn
> off attachment display.
>
> To open the attachment, make sure you have a program on your computer
> that can open files of the same type as the attachment's file format.
> For example, if you want to open a .DOC file, make sure you have a
> program on your computer that can open .DOC files.
>
> To open an attachment:
>
> 1. Double-click the attachment you want (if there is more than
> one).
> 2. In the Downloading dialog box, choose what you want Netscape
> to do with the attachment:
>

> * If Netscape finds an application on your hard disk that
> can open the attachment, you can open the attachment using that
> application. Click "Choose" to use a different application
> to open the attachment. * If Netscape can't find an application on
> your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can save the
> attachment. You won't be able to open the
> attachment, but at least you can save it on your hard disk until you
> can install an application that can open it. * Click
> "Advanced" to add a new file type to the list of helper applications.
> Netscape uses helper applications to determine how different file
> types are
> opened by other applications from within Netscape. For more
> information, see Managing Different File Types.
> 3. Click OK.
>

> NB: If you are viewing your mail using an IMAP mail server, all
> attachments remain on the server!
>

> Switch him/her to Netscape :-))

Thanks for that, Rick, but I know how to open my attachments... ;-)
What I wanted to know was how to change the default location to /save/ them
to...

bb3 10-02-2003 04:43 PM

"slylittlei" <slylittlei@slimetrap.hotsnail.snot> wrote in message
> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window is

> subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a location

of my
> choosing?
> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something to,

but
> now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
> <whinge, gripe, moan...>

Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory that I
saved something to. Maybe try going to Control Panel...Add/Remove
Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my machine, that fixed some
problems with OE.

slylittlei 10-02-2003 05:00 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
arboreal in it's habits: bb3 stated for the record...
> "slylittlei" <slylittlei@slimetrap.hotsnail.snot> wrote in message
>> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
>> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
>> is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
>> location of my choosing?
>> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
>> to, but now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
>> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
>> <whinge, gripe, moan...>
>>

> Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory
> that I saved something to. Maybe try going to Control
> Panel...Add/Remove Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my
> machine, that fixed some problems with OE.

Thanks, I'll give it a try if all else fails..!

bb3 10-02-2003 05:13 PM

> A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
> arboreal in it's habits: bb3 stated for the record...
> > "slylittlei" <slylittlei@slimetrap.hotsnail.snot> wrote in message
> >> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
> >> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
> >> is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
> >> location of my choosing?
> >> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
> >> to, but now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
> >> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've

tried...
> >> <whinge, gripe, moan...>
> >>

> > Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory
> > that I saved something to. Maybe try going to Control
> > Panel...Add/Remove Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my
> > machine, that fixed some problems with OE.

> Thanks, I'll give it a try if all else fails..!

You're welcome. I hope you get it fixed. Sometimes the most annoying
problems are the worst.

Harrison 10-02-2003 05:45 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

Found this on Google Groups

The new OE6 SP1 Cumulative Update fixes some longstanding bugs in
OE....

One bug this patch was designed to correct, is the annoying fact that
OE
always defaults to My Documents when you save an attachment.
Unfortunately
the patch itself has a bug that prevents the new fix from working. The
user-selected path for attachments is indeed written to the registry,
but
the final character in the path name is dropped, which means it won't
work.
Since the path stored at that point is not a valid path, OE dutifully
defaults to, you guessed it, My Documents. Microsoft are aware of this
problem (and probably more than a little embarrassed by it).

To confirm the path is correct in your registry, goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
Express\5.0

in the value "Save Attachment" check to see that the proper path is
entered
(where your GUID is for the identity that you are logged into)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:11:31 +0100, "slylittlei"

°Mike° 10-02-2003 05:59 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

See:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...gs.htm#patches

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:11:31 +0100, in
<u3Yeb.14999$Ia1.207@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>
slylittlei scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

slylittlei 10-02-2003 08:00 PM

Re: Saving attachments in OE6

A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
arboreal in it's habits: °Mike° stated for the record...
> See:
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...gs.htm#patches

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out. :-)