Velocity Reviews

-   -   Swen help ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181623-swen-help.html)

Anne 09-30-2003 02:36 AM

Swen help ...

Hello,
I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it from
the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing, but for
those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way of
bogus emails over this very trying time.

Anne.

trout 09-30-2003 02:45 AM

Re: Swen help ...

Anne wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
> from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
> but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
> Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
> I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
> of bogus emails over this very trying time.
>
> Anne.

No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb thing
to do.
--
"But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."

Anne 09-30-2003 02:55 AM

Re: Swen help ...

"trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Anne wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
> > from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
> > but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
> > Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email

it.
> > I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
> > of bogus emails over this very trying time.
> >
> > Anne.

> No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
> having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb

thing
> to do.
> --
> "But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I was trying to help, but I do
appreciate what you're saying.

Brian H 09-30-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Swen help ...

Anne said:

> "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Anne wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
>>> from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
>>> but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
>>> Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
>>> I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
>>> of bogus emails over this very trying time.
>>>
>>> Anne.

>> No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
>> having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb thing
>> to do.
>> --
>> "But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."
>>

> Thanks for pointing that out to me, I was trying to help, but I do
> appreciate what you're saying.

And the sheer volume of e-mails that you could be facing, 250,000+ infected
computers around the world, could you really cope with that?

Denny B 09-30-2003 05:33 AM

Re: Swen help ...

May I ask where did you get this utility.
Is it downloadable from where you got it?

Thanks
Denny B

why? 09-30-2003 06:43 AM

Re: Swen help ...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:13 +0100, Anne wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it from
>the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing, but for
>those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
>Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
>I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way of
>bogus emails over this very trying time.

Offering an exe file from an anonymous source it not the right way to do
things. How can somebody tell it's not been altered.

Include the URL of the utility if you want to be helpful, something like
the NAI stinger, http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Me

Denny B 09-30-2003 06:54 AM

Re: Swen help ...

No I have not got the Microsoft Update virus
but i am sure getting tired of deleting the dozens and
dozens of attachments.

Also how come nobody else knows about this solution
ANN knows about? I find this strange.

Denny B

Twobtold 09-30-2003 07:51 AM

Re: Swen help ...

FixSwen @ Symantec Corporation

why? 09-30-2003 06:05 PM

Re: Swen help ...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:54:46 -0600, Denny B wrote:

>No I have not got the Microsoft Update virus

Fine. but it will install (if activated) silently.

>but i am sure getting tired of deleting the dozens and
>dozens of attachments.

That's because others with your address have it and it's generating the
mail sent to you.

>Also how come nobody else knows about this solution
>ANN knows about? I find this strange.

What solution? Anne said - I have a small utility that seeks out the
Swen worm and removes.

The link I posted was also a small ultilty for cleaning Swen and a
number of others.

Cleaning Swen off a PC is one thing, having a valid working email that's
different. Unless your change your email address (and be careful with
it) you will always keep getting spam / junk on that account.

There is also the option of a mail scanner utility / OE rules that will
delete mail on your server / in OE before you see it. Maybe it's an ISP
using a scanner themselves.

>Denny B

>news:0b9invkgf3lljigcp0h9ktdruqv7hnjak3@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:13 +0100, Anne wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it

>from
>> >the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing, but

>for
>> >those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
>> >Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email

>it.
>> >I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the

>way of
>> >bogus emails over this very trying time.

<snip>

Me