Velocity Reviews

-   -   conversion program wanted mpg to "real media" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181598-conversion-program-wanted-mpg-to-real-media.html)

nowhere man 09-29-2003 06:57 PM

conversion program wanted mpg to "real media"

Preferably freeware or cheap shareware.
Tried the following:
Zwei-stein: decent converter but plays tricks on output. Gets to a point
then duplicates.
"Rm converter" from boilsoft.com. Decent but lacks quality.
"All real converter" good but drops frames.
Anything else?
Searching the web for something better to use so far has turned up nothing
of quality.

Robert Larson 09-29-2003 10:16 PM

Re: conversion program wanted mpg to "real media"

real media sucks monkey butts..

Rob 09-29-2003 10:18 PM

Steve 09-30-2003 01:16 PM

Re: conversion program wanted mpg to "real media"

Unfortunately RealMedia is the dominant media streaming format at the
moment, but I would sugest avoiding it whenever possible. They have a very
agressive marketing policy that ****es me off. Take a look at Ogg Vorbis -
it is an up and comming media format that is open-source (doesn't have the
licensing restrictions of other formats) and offers excellent quality. (I
think it only handles audio at the moment, but I believe they are working on
video formats).
If you really must use Real Media, the best way seems to be to decode your
file into an uncompressed format first, then use RealEncoder.

"Robert Larson" <bill@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0b2eb.32$9N3.9678907@newssvr11.news.prodigy.c om...
> real media sucks monkey butts..
>

> "Rob" <ZrobZ@Zvoyager.netZ> wrote in message
> > Real media is bad.
> >
> > --
> > Rob B
> > http://www.techhowto.org
> >

> > "nowhere man" <nowhereman@the.beatles> wrote in message
> > news:8a253ab3ed94f97cde52b023ed43e55d@unlimited.ul trafeed.com...
> > > Preferably freeware or cheap shareware.
> > > Tried the following:
> > > Zwei-stein: decent converter but plays tricks on output. Gets to a

point
> > > then duplicates.
> > > "Rm converter" from boilsoft.com. Decent but lacks quality.
> > > "All real converter" good but drops frames.
> > > Anything else?
> > > Searching the web for something better to use so far has turned up

> nothing
> > > of quality.

---