Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 98 Boot Sector Question... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181580-windows-98-boot-sector-question.html)

Carlos 09-29-2003 04:55 PM

Windows 98 Boot Sector Question...

My friends computer isn't working properly.
It won't boot into windows.
It gives the message "Invalid Boot Disk".... or something close to that.
There is no CD or Floppy media inserted so it's not that.
I think either the BOOT sector is bad or missing.
He says he was deleting some files.
I think he might have deleted something important but he claims he only
deleted photos from his My documents?

Any suggestions?
Is there a way to restore his Windows 98 boot sector?
Thanks
Carlos

Ron Martell 09-29-2003 05:07 PM

Re: Windows 98 Boot Sector Question...

"Carlos" <arlo2522@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My friends computer isn't working properly.
>It won't boot into windows.
>It gives the message "Invalid Boot Disk".... or something close to that.
>There is no CD or Floppy media inserted so it's not that.
>I think either the BOOT sector is bad or missing.
>He says he was deleting some files.
>I think he might have deleted something important but he claims he only
>deleted photos from his My documents?
>
>Any suggestions?
>Is there a way to restore his Windows 98 boot sector?
>Thanks
>Carlos

There are several possible causes for this problem:

1. The system boot files have been deleted or damaged.
2. The BIOS setup parameters for the hard drive have been changed so
that the files are not being loaded properly (wrong drive geometry).
3. The hard drive itself has failed in some way.

Boot the computer with a Windows 98 Startup Diskette. Download one
from www.bootdisk.com if you don't have one already.

At the A:\> prompt enter the following command:

DIR C:\

If that produces an listing of files and folders with no error message
then the drive is probably physically OK.

Next enter the following command:

SCANDISK C:

Do not repeat do not let Scandisk fix any errors or problems that it
finds. If it does find a problem then this indicates that it is
possible that the BIOS setup parameters for the hard drive have been
changed and these need to be corrected before anything is done to the
disk itself.

If Scandisk completes OK with no errors (no need to test the data
surfaces at this point, as that will take a long time) then it is
probably safe to assume that cause #1 is the culprit.

If the boot disk you used is from the exact same version of Windows 98
as was installed on the computer (98 Original or 98 Second Edition)
then it is safe to enter the following command:

SYS C:

That will replace the system boot files. Remove the boot disk and
reboot the computer. It should now boot into Windows okay.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP