Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181438-cancel-1-year-dsl-contract-with-isp-without-penalty-how-to-do-it.html)

L Mehl 09-27-2003 10:42 PM

Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Hello --

Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days because
my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20 per
hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message carries an
attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from the ISP
telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs filter
such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL service
agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term I
remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the year
after signup (approx 4 months ago).

Thanks for any help.

L Mehl
mehl@cyvest.com

---

Rob 09-27-2003 11:14 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

http://www.techhowto.org/spam.html

--
Rob B

news:Mnodb.5745$RW4.529@newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

Richard 09-28-2003 02:56 AM

L wrote:

> Because, asshole, many people use that address, and I want to avoid
> the
> hassle of notifying everyone.

Cool. Kaditcha jerk has been filtered by newsguy.
No wonder I ain't seen him in ages.

Richard 09-28-2003 03:02 AM

L wrote:

> Hello --

> Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days
> because
> my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
> receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20
> per
> hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message
> carries an
> attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

> I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
> computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from
> the ISP
> telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs
> filter
> such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

> Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL
> service
> agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term
> remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the
> year
> after signup (approx 4 months ago).

> Thanks for any help.

> L Mehl
> mehl@cyvest.com

Take screen shots of your emaill messages as you see them on the list.
Do this every hour.
Now cancel the contract and tell them that if they dare to charge the
disconnect fee, they'll be billed $50 an hour for every day's worth of
cleanup.
That statement is a scare tactic to make you think you can't get out of it.
Do you really think that they're gonna take you to court over it?
It would cost them a hell of a lot more if they did.
Tell them they breached the contract by failure to filter out the spam and
cause your mailbox to be unavailable.
Ditch the jerks.

L Mehl 09-28-2003 04:55 AM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Richard --

Thanks. Good advice.

Larry

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:bl5ivs09g2@enews3.newsguy.com...
> L wrote:
>
> > Hello --

> > Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days
> > because
> > my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
> > receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20
> > per
> > hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message
> > carries an
> > attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

> > I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
> > computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from
> > the ISP
> > telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs
> > filter
> > such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

> > Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL
> > service
> > agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term
> > remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the
> > year
> > after signup (approx 4 months ago).

> > Thanks for any help.

> > L Mehl
> > mehl@cyvest.com

> Take screen shots of your emaill messages as you see them on the list.
> Do this every hour.
> Now cancel the contract and tell them that if they dare to charge the
> disconnect fee, they'll be billed $50 an hour for every day's worth of
> cleanup.
> That statement is a scare tactic to make you think you can't get out of

it.
> Do you really think that they're gonna take you to court over it?
> It would cost them a hell of a lot more if they did.
> Tell them they breached the contract by failure to filter out the spam and
> cause your mailbox to be unavailable.
> Ditch the jerks.

---

TRADESMAN 09-28-2003 12:40 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

PS.
You have no idea who you've just thanked and taken advice from.
Do so at your own risk.
ISPs can and DO sue for breach of contract.

mhicaoidh 09-28-2003 04:53 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:

| Because, [snip], many people use that address, and I want to avoid the
| hassle of notifying everyone.

Just a point here ... if you cancel your ISP contract, you email address
will be changing anyway, yes? Why not try changing your email account name
first?

L Mehl 09-28-2003 07:10 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Thanks.

Please see my response to James Mourby.

LM

"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailPM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:
> |
> | Because, [snip], many people use that address, and I want to avoid the
> | hassle of notifying everyone.
>
> Just a point here ... if you cancel your ISP contract, you email

address
> will be changing anyway, yes? Why not try changing your email account

name
> first?

---

John Doe 09-28-2003 09:43 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

"L Mehl" <mehl_nospam@cyvest.com> wrote in message
news:Mnodb.5745$RW4.529@newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> Hello --
>
> Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days

because
> my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
> receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20 per
> hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message carries

an
> attachment of approx 150 KB in size.
>
> I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep ...

<snip>

You SLEEP?!! In that case, you are not doing your fair share to fight spam
and are part of the problem. You deserve all of the spam and viruses you
receive. Your negligence has been reported to SPEWS and they (tint) will be
contacting you shortly (in PERSON) to "correct" you.

mhicaoidh 09-28-2003 09:50 PM

Re: Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:

| Please see my response to James Mourby.

So, why can't you change your ISP email address, and then set your email
domain to forward to that address? Then, create a Hotmail/Yahoo account,
and enter *that* email address whenever you need to online. I never use my
actual email address online ... consequently, I get no spam to my main
email. Now, Hotmail, on the other hand ... ;-)