Velocity Reviews

-   -   norton ghost (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181359-norton-ghost.html)

tomm 09-26-2003 11:05 PM

norton ghost

I have (had??) a 60 gig HD split into 2 partitions.
C: 25 gig with OS & all the progs & various stuff
D: 35 gig with loads of stuff..
So I thought I`d try to make a recovery cd(s).
So I backed up some of my D drive to cd
and then did a clean XP installation on C.
After re-installing all the drivers etc I reached the stage where I was
ready to make a recovery cd using norton ghost.
I did this ok ... thought I`d try it out and restored my system with the
recovery cds.
After it was all over... it had wiped out my D drive partition.. turning
the cd drive into a 60 gig drive again.
I`m sure (!!) I have lost my D drive .. or have I ?

Alan 09-26-2003 11:37 PM

Re: norton ghost

if you've ended up with a one partition, 60gb drive, then yes u have
removed all data. i dont know much about norton ghost tho.

but when u used the recovery cd's, there is a point where u are asked if u
want to restore the partitions, or keep the partitions as they are now (and
if the computer had a single partition initially then the recovery cd's
would restore it to this point) unless u choose otherwise

alan

news:3f74c62a$0$251$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com.. .

Billh 09-27-2003 02:02 AM

Re: norton ghost

Having done a similar thing I would say you have killed your d drive. While
I just gave up as the data over written was of no great value to me you on
the other hand might want to look at data recovery software or services.
These are not cheap or for amateurs. The best advice I can give you it you
go that route is to not use that hard drive as every second it is in use
your chances of recovery diminish.

While my first go around with Ghost was not great I have since used it
hundreds of time but I am VERY careful now.

NewKillerStar 09-27-2003 02:33 AM

Re: norton ghost

You chose disk to image when you created the cds, choose partition to image
next time...