Velocity Reviews

-   -   Optra L print quality (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181158-optra-l-print-quality.html)

say@no.to.spam 09-24-2003 07:19 PM

Optra L print quality

Hello all mighty all!

I have a problem with Optra L print quality. The unit had only done
about 30k pages total but prints it produces from a new cartridge are
rather bad. First of all I need to mention that cartridge produces
wonderful prints in another optra I have. Optra L, however, produces
kind of fat looking letters, if anything is underlined the line would
be inconsistent and even breaking in places. But the worst of all
comes when pictures are printed. Pictures would show bands of low
toner coverage and going in consistent parallel vertical lines and
thick bands.

What could be wrong and what can be done about it?

Thanks

Cubzilla 09-24-2003 07:46 PM

Re: Optra L print quality

<say@no.to.spam> wrote in message
> Hello all mighty all!
>
> I have a problem with Optra L print quality. The unit had only done
> about 30k pages total but prints it produces from a new cartridge are
> rather bad. First of all I need to mention that cartridge produces
> wonderful prints in another optra I have. Optra L, however, produces
> kind of fat looking letters, if anything is underlined the line would
> be inconsistent and even breaking in places. But the worst of all
> comes when pictures are printed. Pictures would show bands of low
> toner coverage and going in consistent parallel vertical lines and
> thick bands.
>
> What could be wrong and what can be done about it?
>
> Thanks

On some laser printers the mirrors/lenses over a time get sorta smoked up
with dust this leads to banding usually down either side. The heated roller
can also deteriorate, I think on the optra there is a cleaning pad that is
on top of the fuser unit, that can be removed to expose the rollers, you can
check the condition from there.

The fix is to clean mirrors/lenses initially with a soft dry cotton bud
then follow up with a small amount of screen cleaner (one that leaves no
trace) on a bud to remove any stubborn deposits.

If the fuser is marked then its a refurbished one I'm afraid

You might need the service guide to locate any mirrors/lenses that are
involved in the optra

Regards Trev

say@no.to.spam 09-30-2003 07:28 PM

Re: Optra L print quality

Thanks mate!
I will have a look into it. The fuser cleaner is ok, so just 2 more
parts to check.

:)