Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181085-whats-needed-to-get-an-index-of-web-page.html)

Jeff Wisnia 09-24-2003 04:08 AM

What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page?

I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
and lets me click on the files there and view them.

I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
that directory.

But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
saying I'd entered an invalid address.

Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
the ISP lets them be so?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

Blinky the Shark 09-24-2003 04:35 AM

Re: What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
> of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
> that directory.

> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
> (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
> Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named

..htaccess

http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/

--
Blinky Linux RU 297263
Nixon's secretary now at MS? http://snurl.com/rosemary

Juan Pérez 09-24-2003 04:53 AM

Re: What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page?

Some servers do, others do not allow the file index of a website to be
accessible even without a default page. Try opening the url without
typing the full path, ie: if there are folders in the index, stop typing
the url just after a folder name. This sometimes reveals the files of
the web site. Kinda sneaky though and sucks.

Jeff Wisnia <jwisnia@conversent.net> wrote in message
> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:
>
> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/
>
> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index

of/~joeuser"
> and lets me click on the files there and view them.
>
> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
> that directory.
>
> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,

(after
> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
> saying I'd entered an invalid address.
>
> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available

if
> the ISP lets them be so?
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff
>

> --
>
> Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
>
> "If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of

someone

gangle 09-24-2003 08:26 AM

Re: What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page?

"Juan Pérez" wrote

http://www.rogerschwendeman.com/Poot..._poot_face.jpg

Jeff Wisnia 09-24-2003 04:15 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Jeff Wisnia wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

> > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

> > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
> > of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

> > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
> > that directory.

> > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
> > (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
> > Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

> Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named
>
> .htaccess
>
> http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/
>
> --
> Blinky Linux RU 297263
> Nixon's secretary now at MS? http://snurl.com/rosemary

Nope, no ".htaccess" in either the directory I can see an index page on or
my own directory (which I can't see one on.)

The subject wasn't a big deal with me, I was just trying to satisfy my
curiosity. I've got a feeling my ISP Comcast (I use them for
TV/telephone/high speed internet at home.) is up tight enough to not permit
the "Index of" option.

(And here I thought you spent all your waking time on AFCA?)

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
place the blame on."

Gary G. Taylor 09-24-2003 08:43 PM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:
>
> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/
>
> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
> and lets me click on the files there and view them.
>
> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
> that directory.
>
> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
> saying I'd entered an invalid address.
>
> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
> the ISP lets them be so?

As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
default entry page, it may have another name.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
gary@hgjnun87tr9i5kymb.com <<Take THAT, VeriSlime!

Blinky the Shark 09-25-2003 08:55 AM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>> > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

>> > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

>> > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
>> > of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

>> > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
>> > that directory.

>> > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
>> > (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
>> > Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

>> Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named

>> .htaccess

>> http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/

> Nope, no ".htaccess" in either the directory I can see an index page on or
> my own directory (which I can't see one on.)

Is that the directory you were wondering about being able to list the files
for?

(And there wouldn't be a .htaccess in your local mirror, unless you made
one or downloaded a copy from the website.)

> The subject wasn't a big deal with me, I was just trying to satisfy my
> curiosity. I've got a feeling my ISP Comcast (I use them for
> TV/telephone/high speed internet at home.) is up tight enough to not permit
> the "Index of" option.

..htaccess is just a text file. Upload one. (Go back to that page, and
reread, and make one with listing permission.) Then try it with your
browser. Then you'll know. I *know* the cat, and curiosity *didn't* kill
him -- it was a '73 Ford that got him. Got him *good*. :)

> (And here I thought you spent all your waking time on AFCA?)

Fooled you! :) (I do several tech groups daily, too.)

I haven't seen *you* in there, lately.

--
Blinky Linux RU 297263
NEW 9/25/03:

Blinky the Shark 09-25-2003 09:00 AM

Gary G. Taylor wrote:

> Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

>> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

>> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
>> and lets me click on the files there and view them.

>> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
>> that directory.

>> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
>> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
>> saying I'd entered an invalid address.

>> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
>> the ISP lets them be so?

> As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
> pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
> him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
> default entry page, it may have another name.

I think that's configurable in .htaccess, innit? I mean if the ISP
hasn't somehow overridden it.

Crap....I just thought of something I forgot to mention to Jeff. That's a
hidden file (that's what the prepended dot means), so if your FTPing in
without being configured to see hidden files, you wont' find it. Yo,
Jeff -- you readin', here?

Jeff Wisnia 09-25-2003 08:24 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Gary G. Taylor wrote:
>
> > Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> >> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

> >> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

> >> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
> >> and lets me click on the files there and view them.

> >> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
> >> that directory.

> >> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
> >> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
> >> saying I'd entered an invalid address.

> >> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
> >> the ISP lets them be so?

> > As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
> > pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
> > him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
> > default entry page, it may have another name.

> I think that's configurable in .htaccess, innit? I mean if the ISP
> hasn't somehow overridden it.
>
> Crap....I just thought of something I forgot to mention to Jeff. That's a
> hidden file (that's what the prepended dot means), so if your FTPing in
> without being configured to see hidden files, you wont' find it. Yo,
> Jeff -- you readin', here?

Ah's here boss! I'll get back to this after I handle more pressing problems...

And, thanks...

Jeff

Juan Pérez 09-27-2003 06:20 AM

(Polishing the **** off of my chop sticks) Cat poots! Yum!