Velocity Reviews

-   -   modem query (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t180818-modem-query.html)

sam 09-21-2003 01:34 PM

modem query

Trying something from earlier post.
Modem> Properties> Diagnostics> Query Modem
I get the following message....
The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application.
Exit any application that maybe using the port.
I temporarily disabled Zone Alarm. Tried again, same message.
All I have open is IE.
OS is XP Pro. Is something amiss?
TIA

Rob 09-21-2003 02:45 PM

Re: modem query

Open task manager (ctrl, alt, del), look for a program called RNAAPP
End the task. Then try running diagnostics. If it's still an issue, look
for spyware on your computer. Also try disabling aol instant messenger, msn
messenger, ..
http://www.techhowto.org/spyware.html

--
Rob B

°Mike° 09-21-2003 03:33 PM

Re: modem query

Are you connected when this error message appears? If so,
disconnect first. If not, check for rnaapp, as the other poster
suggested.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:34:15 GMT, in
<rNhbb.115353$bo1.51935@news-server.bigpond.net.au>
sam scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sam 09-21-2003 11:47 PM

Re: modem query

Thanks Mike and Rob.
Your assistance is appreciated.
Sam

°Mike° 09-22-2003 12:35 AM

Re: modem query

You're welcome. Did the info help?

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:47:27 GMT, in
<jMqbb.116113$bo1.66180@news-server.bigpond.net.au>
sam scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sam 09-22-2003 11:43 AM

Re: modem query

Yes it did. Once I disconnected, like you said, the info came up.
I'm a novice at this computer stuff, just stumbling around.
There is a lot to learn. Should have started years ago.
Perhaps it's not too late, nonetheless it is mindboggling.
We can but try.
Thanks again.
Sam

°Mike° 09-22-2003 07:40 PM

Re: modem query

That's great. Keep plodding on, and you'll get the hang of it.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:43:57 GMT, in
<1gBbb.116878$bo1.49448@news-server.bigpond.net.au>
sam scrawled:

--