Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   suggest a Good Modem? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t180400-suggest-a-good-modem.html)

MSM 09-17-2003 03:31 AM

suggest a Good Modem?
 
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
can any1 suggest me a better one?
I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME

MSM

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
http://www.usenet.com
Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Stevo 09-17-2003 03:39 AM

Re: suggest a Good Modem?
 
MSM wrote:
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
> it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
> can any1 suggest me a better one?
> I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME
>
> MSM
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
> http://www.usenet.com
> Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


I'd recommend an external modem rather than an internal which are usually
software modems.

Hayes, USR etc would be worth a try but it depends what is available where
you are.

Even then, you might not notice a great improvement in connect speed, if
there is one at all. All sorts of factors, external to the modem and your PC
affect that.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)



Gary G. Taylor 09-17-2003 05:35 AM

Re: suggest a Good Modem?
 
MSM wrote:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
> it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
> can any1 suggest me a better one?
> I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME
>
> MSM


46.6K is pretty good. You could do better with some fiddling with the
settings. A new modem will probably make no difference unless, by chance,
its out-of-the-box configuration has a couple of tweaks in it which make it
connect better. (Bear in mind that your connection speed is limited to
53.3K because of a law; it's capable of 56K but it doesn't run that fast.)
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
"The two most abundant things in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

Ron Martell 09-17-2003 05:27 PM

Re: suggest a Good Modem?
 
MSM <MSM@home.waiting.4.support> wrote:

>**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
>I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
>it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
>can any1 suggest me a better one?
>I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME
>


I doubt if a new modem is going to give you much more connection speed
than you are getting. 56K is a *theoretical* maximum and there are
legal considerations that limit the practical maximum to around 53K.
I see a lot of dial-up connections on different brands of modems and
cannot recall seeing a connection speed higher than 48K anywhere.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ 09-17-2003 08:21 PM

Re: suggest a Good Modem?
 
Gary G. Taylor wrote:
> MSM wrote:
>
>>I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
>>it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
>>can any1 suggest me a better one?
>>I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME

>
> 46.6K is pretty good. You could do better with some fiddling with the
> settings. A new modem will probably make no difference unless, by chance,
> its out-of-the-box configuration has a couple of tweaks in it which make it
> connect better. (Bear in mind that your connection speed is limited to
> 53.3K because of a law; it's capable of 56K but it doesn't run that fast.)


Agreed - but don't forget: more important than actual connect speed is
throughput!

If you get more throughput at 44kbps than at 50kbps, stick with 44.
(I know you didn't mention either of these speeds, but I needed an example.)

--
--
MichaelJ@BuffNET.net
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)


Bigfoot Bill 09-18-2003 04:48 PM

Re: suggest a Good Modem?
 
Here's the link to a site I use to find parts
this is the same modem I use at home it is
a hardware internal USR v.90 model 5610A PCI Performance Pro. It retailed
for $95.00 ,it's 43.00 here.

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?ItemID=20392

--
Bigfoot Bill
* remove z's to reply directly *
"Ron Martell" <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:876hmvs6h3t2hv8k1frkohng95rc6efnnj@4ax.com...
> MSM <MSM@home.waiting.4.support> wrote:
>
> >**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
> >
> >I have a D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem
> >it works good but connects only at 46.6 kb
> >can any1 suggest me a better one?
> >I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME
> >

>
> I doubt if a new modem is going to give you much more connection speed
> than you are getting. 56K is a *theoretical* maximum and there are
> legal considerations that limit the practical maximum to around 53K.
> I see a lot of dial-up connections on different brands of modems and
> cannot recall seeing a connection speed higher than 48K anywhere.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."




isaviour 04-20-2011 08:00 PM

Call 855-230-6145 now for comprehensive tech support from iSaviour certified technicians, highly skilled in providing computer support for repair, maintenance, troubleshooting errors, setup &amp; installation of software, available 24/7.

Visit- http://www.isaviour.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.