Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie question about wireless routers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t180306-newbie-question-about-wireless-routers.html)

Jimmy 09-16-2003 02:38 AM

Newbie question about wireless routers

Hello,

Just purchased a Compaq X1000 laptop computer with built in wireless
capabilities. My desktop computer (the one I'm typing on) is connected to
the Internet by a cable modem. I understand that I can purchase a wireless
cable router so I can use my laptop to access the Internet. Can anyone
enlighten me, just a bit, on the process of this? One of my questions is:
The cable service I'm using is Optimum Online where I have my own e-mail
address and software for it. I rarely use it though because I mostly use
AOL, but connect to AOL through the cable modem. Now on my laptop, do I
need to install the Optimum Online software along with the AOL software? Or
can I just load AOL on my laptop and connect through the wireless router to
the cable modem?
Also, are there better or worse routers out there, or are they pretty much
the same? I know the wireless system on this new laptop is 802.11b, which
I've read is one of the slower ones out there with all the new technology
coming out now. I've read good things about the Microsoft router, but wanted
to hear some different opinions if anyone had some.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Fred 09-16-2003 09:12 PM

Re: Newbie question about wireless routers

My opinion is that they do not work! Tried three different brands-neither
could receive a signal through a standard sheetrock wall 10 feet away. You
will notice in the commercials that they always show the connection outside.
i.e no walls. I was so frustrated that I called in a "computer expert"--he
couldn't get it to work either. Ended up running Ethernet cable and a
router--works great.
Fred Dwight