Velocity Reviews

-   -   My backup strategy blunder (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t180208-my-backup-strategy-blunder.html)

Fatfreek 09-14-2003 08:14 PM

My backup strategy blunder

I bought Drive Image 2002 plus an additional hard drive for the explicit
purpose of backing up. No, not just my data files but all programs with all
their laborious configurations and time-consuming, online (over a dial-up)
updates.

For what it's worth I am running Win2k Pro and my c: drive is 30gb of NTFS.
My new drive, which I suppose I will call d:, is a 60gb also NTFS. (I was
hoping that I could later somehow turn that into my boot drive and the
existing c: drive into the backup)

I just installed the added drive, followed instructions under Disk
Management formatting it. I saw no options other than to turn it into a
Dynamic Drive and did just that.

However, I then turned to my Drive Image instructions and note that it
cannot backup to a dynamic disk.

So, using Disk Management, turned the new one into a Basic drive but in
doing so noted I no longer have my drive D: No matter, I launched Drive
Image and note that my new drive is not an option for a backup location.

I now note that Drive Image "can save images to a network directory or
external media, such as a CD" - I have no network and I don't consider a CD
as an acceptable option.

Have I dug myself into a giant hole or what?

As an aside, I note under my Win 2000 Pro help under mirroring that ".create
mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server". Why in
dickens do the Microsoft folks place that distraction in my help file?

Any suggestions?

Len Miller

doS 09-14-2003 09:23 PM

Re: My backup strategy blunder

Turn the drive into a basic drive, then you have to delete the drive,
recreate the volume in windows.Now, I would consider cd's as another option,
in case you lose a drive.