Velocity Reviews

-   -   RAID + Dual Boot = Slow or No Boot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t178544-raid-dual-boot-slow-or-no-boot.html)

mhicaoidh 08-28-2003 03:15 AM

RAID + Dual Boot = Slow or No Boot

I am attempting to add an Adaptec 1200A RAID card to my dual (XP Pro and
2000 Pro) boot system to configure a RAID1 array. However, after installing
the card and drivers, I pull the IDE cable off the motherboard, and connect
it to the Adaptec. In past experience this works fine, and computers have
booted up without issue. Once I confirm this, I then create the mirror
array. I have done this on 5 client machines ... however, on mine it is not
working.

When I attach the ribbon to the RAID card, the system POSTs, and I get
the boot menu to select XP or 2000. Both of them then are very slow to boot
up to login. 2000 can take up to 7 minutes, and XP usually never makes it
to login ... I have given it up to 34 minutes. Once 2000 gets to login
screen, performance seems normal. The one time I got XP to boot fully,
performance seemed normal also ... save for having to re-activate my XP
license due to too many system changes.

I have flashed the Adaptec's BIOS and updated the drivers to the latest
with no success. I have SCSI set as my main boot device (EP-8KHA+
motherboard). I played with settings in the mobo BIOS, and 2000 booted
normally once ... but I could not replicate it a second time. I need to get
this sorted before I mirror the drive to another and create the array. So,
any help would be appreciated.

TIA