Velocity Reviews

-   -   these worth it? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t178463-these-worth-it.html)

nuffy 08-27-2003 04:40 AM

these worth it?

Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?

DaveW 08-27-2003 05:43 AM

Re: these worth it?

Worth it??
Just for the space? No.
To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't speak for
you.
Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
USB/Firewire interface.
You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
http://www.pricewatch.com/
Yes they can be formatted.

Boomer 08-27-2003 05:52 AM

Re: these worth it?

DaveW said:

> Worth it??
> Just for the space? No.
> To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't
> speak for you.
> Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
> USB/Firewire interface.
> You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
> http://www.pricewatch.com/
> Yes they can be formatted.

What manufacturer would you recommend for an external drive?

slumpy 08-27-2003 10:07 AM

Re: these worth it?

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

> DaveW said:
>
>> Worth it??
>> Just for the space? No.
>> To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't
>> speak for you.
>> Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
>> USB/Firewire interface.
>> You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
>> http://www.pricewatch.com/
>> Yes they can be formatted.

> What manufacturer would you recommend for an external drive?

Hint: there ain't many to choose from.....starts with an 'M'...;-)
--
slumpy
no more

Sentient Fluid 08-27-2003 11:42 AM

Re: these worth it?

"nuffy" <129bhdy77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?

Yes... they can be formatted.

--
What good would they be if they weren't? ;-)

SgtMinor 08-27-2003 12:40 PM

Re: these worth it?

Have you considered a "mobile rack?" For $15 - 20 you can get a
removable tray that will house the hard drive of your choosing.
http://www.xpcgear.com/mobileracks.html

nuffy 08-27-2003 12:49 PM

Re: these worth it?

In article <3F4CA6D8.B3A9FA59@the.old.folks.home.invalid>,
Sarge@the.old.folks.home.invalid says...

|> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
|> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
|> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp

Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?

Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
external hard drive?

slumpy 08-27-2003 01:57 PM

Re: these worth it?

threw back my head and roared with laughter as nuffy continued:

> In article <3F4CA6D8.B3A9FA59@the.old.folks.home.invalid>,
> Sarge@the.old.folks.home.invalid says...
>

>>> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
>>> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format
>>> these? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp

> Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy
> bay. The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing
> you to use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy
> disks? You can use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
>
> Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and
> say an external hard drive?

You place a hard drive into a tray that slides into the frame in a spare 5"
bay, not floppy. You can buy extra trays and have several hard drives ready
to slot in. I have 1 inside the machine running my OS and programs, and
three others for various stuff on a shelf.

They run exactly like a slidemounted car radio.
--
slumpy
no more

Sentient Fluid 08-27-2003 06:02 PM

Re: these worth it?

> In article <3F4CA6D8.B3A9FA59@the.old.folks.home.invalid>,
> Sarge@the.old.folks.home.invalid says...
>

> |> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
> |> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
> |> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp
> |

> Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
> The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
> use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
> use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
>
> Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
> external hard drive?

I would think that an external hard drive would be plug 'n' play these days,
so you would probably be able to just hook it up to another computer for
file transfers. Not sure if they are bootable, though...

Mobile Racks can only be placed into a computer that has the drive bay set
up to accept it. They are bootable for sure.

DaveW 08-27-2003 06:09 PM

Re: these worth it?

"nuffy" <129bhdy77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <3F4CA6D8.B3A9FA59@the.old.folks.home.invalid>,
> Sarge@the.old.folks.home.invalid says...
>

> |> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
> |> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
> |> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp
> |

> Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
> The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
> use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
> use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
>
> Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
> external hard drive?

Sounds like "Hot Swap" drives.
BIG difference is, a USB/FireWire drive can connect to any computer with a
USB/FireWire port and the necessary software installed. Very portable from
one computer to another.

The "Hot Swap" drive can only be use on a computer with a "Hot Swap" rack
installed. Not all hard drive are Hot Swappable, and because they have no
protective enclosure they are more prone to physical damage.