Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Are these safe to throw out? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t178065-re-are-these-safe-to-throw-out.html)

°Mike° 08-23-2003 07:40 PM

Re: Are these safe to throw out?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
<eFydnexIf8UWOdqiXTWJkQ@comcast.com>
Stephanie scrawled:

>Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
>full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser history
>or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using "Find
>File"
>
>AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB - Application

Reboot first, then delete.

>LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

>Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
>
>Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
if you are short of space.

>netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB -
>HST File

If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB - DAT
>file

Control Panel / Internet Options ...
'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

>data1 - C:\Logitemp - 8,547KB - Cabinet

I'm not sure what the Logitemp folder is, but it sounds like it
could be a temporary folder. If you can determine that it is,
reboot and delete the whole folder.

>8a79 - C:\Windows\Temp - 4,699KB - Windows Installer Package

Reboot first, then delete.

>DXdiag - C:\Windows\System - 2,004KB - Application

Do *NOT* delete this. It is your DirectX diagnostics program.

>GM.dls - C:\Windows\System 32\Drivers - 3,361KB - DLS File

Do *NOT* delete this. It is your MIDI instruments file.

>Prhz7b3r - C:\Windows\Java\Packages - 5,616KB - Aladdin Stuffit Archive

Only delete this if you *never* use Java.

>Adobe Reader 6.0 - C:\Windows\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG - 2,198KB -
>Windows Installer Package

Reboot and delete.

>Data 1 - C:\Windows\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG - 23,334KB - Cabinet

Reboot and delete.

>filter.dat - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus - 2,985KB - DAT File

Do *NOT* delete this. It is your antivirus definitions.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Stephanie 08-23-2003 08:45 PM

Re: Are these safe to throw out?

Hi Mike, thanks for the advice! Thanks to you , I was able to recover almost
60 MB of space. and everything still seems to work. :)

S.

"°Mike°" <ZHNTPDWBLECA@fcnzzbgry.pbz> wrote in message

°Mike° 08-23-2003 08:53 PM

Re: Are these safe to throw out?

You're welcome. You should take a look at the link in my signature;
add it to your favorites, even. :)

Btw. If you have trouble downloading HDValet from the maintenance
page, you can get it here, temporarily:
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/hdvalet.html

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:45:53 -0400, in
<WuCcnY5j34J5TNqiXTWJiw@comcast.com>
Stephanie scrawled:

>Hi Mike, thanks for the advice! Thanks to you , I was able to recover almost
>60 MB of space. and everything still seems to work. :)
>
>S.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard 08-23-2003 09:20 PM

°Mike° wrote:>>

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
> <eFydnexIf8UWOdqiXTWJkQ@comcast.com>
> Stephanie scrawled:

>>Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
>>full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser
>>history or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using

> "Find File" AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB -
> Application

> Reboot first, then delete.

>>LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

> This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
> a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

>>Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
>>
>>Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

> The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
> if you are short of space.

>>netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB
>>- HST File

> If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

>>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB -
>>DAT file

> Control Panel / Internet Options ...
> 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage to get rid
of it, windows just makes a new one.

Why do you say reboot and delete?
just delete the damn files first.

°Mike° 08-23-2003 10:08 PM

Re: Are these safe to throw out?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:20:07 -0500, in
<bi8ltj01hd3@enews2.newsguy.com>
Richard scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:>>
>
> > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
> > <eFydnexIf8UWOdqiXTWJkQ@comcast.com>
> > Stephanie scrawled:

> >>Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
> >>full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser
> >>history or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using

>> "Find File" AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB -
>> Application

> > Reboot first, then delete.

> >>LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

> > This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
> > a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

> >>Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
> >>
> >>Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

> > The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
> > if you are short of space.

> >>netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB
> >>- HST File

> > If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

> >>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB -
> >>DAT file

> > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
> > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

>DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage
>to get rid of it, windows just makes a new one.

The instructions given were for emptying the temporary internet
files, and the sub folders. Where did I say to delete the index.dat
file, st00pid? Now STFU!

>Why do you say reboot and delete?
>just delete the damn files first.

More typically bad advice from a non-typical moron. Rebooting first
is to ensure that... oh, what the hell am I explaining myself to you
for? **** off, Bullis.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Thund3rstruck 08-23-2003 11:37 PM

Re: Are these safe to throw out?

Richard Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
in <bi8ltj01hd3@enews2.newsguy.com>:

> °Mike° wrote:>>
>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 -
> >>2,048KB - DAT file

> > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
> > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

> DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage to
> get rid of it, windows just makes a new one.

Shithead,

He didn't. He said to go into IE and delete all cache, including
all offline content. That's what:

> > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
> > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

means.

> Why do you say reboot and delete?
> just delete the damn files first.

How can you delete open files? Some of the files she listed might
be open, and would throw errors...unless she rebooted first!

NOI

--

There must be wonderful paintings on the walls of his ass, for his
head to be stuck up there for so long...!