Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to find out IP address (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t177277-how-to-find-out-ip-address.html)

Fred J 08-17-2003 01:54 AM

How to find out IP address

I am connected to the internet via cable, a have 2 computers
connected with a router. My question is if my friend and me have
PcAnywhere installed which IP address should I give him to be
able him to connect to me. Before I had a router my IP address
use to be always different when I checked, now is always the same
192.168.0.2 how can I find out what is my real IP address?
Thanks Fred

Thund3rstruck 08-17-2003 02:15 AM

Re: How to find out IP address

Fred J Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
in <rkB%a.58029$J04.458170@weber.videotron.net>:

> I am connected to the internet via cable, a have 2 computers
> connected with a router. My question is if my friend and me have
> PcAnywhere installed which IP address should I give him to be
> able him to connect to me. Before I had a router my IP address
> use to be always different when I checked, now is always the same
> 192.168.0.2 how can I find out what is my real IP address?
> Thanks Fred

Fred, just go to www.whatismyip.com and you will have your IP
address...

NOI

pcbutts1 08-17-2003 02:29 AM

Re: How to find out IP address

After you get your IP from the site that Thund3rstruck gave you will have to
configure the correct ports on your router to allow PC Anywhere access by
routing those ports to your internal IP address. I don't know what ports PC
Anywhere uses.

claude nine 08-17-2003 02:36 AM

Re: How to find out IP address

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:15:42 -0400, Thund3rstruck
<Thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail.comremove> wrote:

>Fred J Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
>in <rkB%a.58029$J04.458170@weber.videotron.net>:
>
>> I am connected to the internet via cable, a have 2 computers
>> connected with a router. My question is if my friend and me have
>> PcAnywhere installed which IP address should I give him to be
>> able him to connect to me. Before I had a router my IP address
>> use to be always different when I checked, now is always the same
>> 192.168.0.2 how can I find out what is my real IP address?
>> Thanks Fred

> Fred, just go to www.whatismyip.com and you will have your IP
>address...
>
> NOI

I went to that URL - it gave me the wrong address for this computer.

why? 08-17-2003 02:37 AM

Re: How to find out IP address

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:29:32 GMT, pcbutts1 wrote:

>After you get your IP from the site that Thund3rstruck gave you will have to
>configure the correct ports on your router to allow PC Anywhere access by
>routing those ports to your internal IP address. I don't know what ports PC
>Anywhere uses.

This is a handy listing, for future reference.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._port_list.htm
Special Application Port ┬*List
Messaging & Conferencing , Audio & Video┬*┬*, Games┬*
Common Servers , Other (including remote control)

>"Fred J" <bineja@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>news:rkB%a.58029$J04.458170@weber.videotron.net.. .
>> I am connected to the internet via cable, a have 2 computers
>> connected with a router. My question is if my friend and me have
>> PcAnywhere installed which IP address should I give him to be

<snip>

Me

JabberSmith 08-17-2003 03:27 PM

Re: How to find out IP address

> > NOI

> I went to that URL - it gave me the wrong address for this computer.

No. You have the wrong idea about IPs. The site gave you the right one.

192.168.* is a non-routable block of IPs, your router gave it to your PCs to
use on your network. The router also manages the outside (which is your
REAL IP) address for you.

To find it, go to a web site, or log into the router and check the status
area, it should say there too.

Oh, and read your router manual, you will have a second problem to tackle
soon. The answer is there. You have too little idea what you are doing to
safely put PC anywhere on the internet as well, did you know there are
remote exploit holes in the thing all over? You are going to be hacked
within days of installing that, so you had better figure out what you are
doing before you proceed.

Back up your stuff too... you'll be formatting your hard drive to clean it
before long.

Ed 08-17-2003 04:35 PM

Re: How to find out IP address

That site gave me the wrong IP too.