Velocity Reviews

-   -   computer won't turn on - and then it does. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t176898-computer-wont-turn-on-and-then-it-does.html)

justin*tyme 08-13-2003 11:06 PM

computer won't turn on - and then it does.

Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer and
....nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of power. I
wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.

Any thoughts as to likely culprit??

Con-fused

Brian H 08-13-2003 11:10 PM

Re: computer won't turn on - and then it does.

justin*tyme said:

> Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer and
> ...nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of power. I
> wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
> thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
> up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
> on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
>
> Any thoughts as to likely culprit??
>
> Con-fused

You probably woke the sloth out of hibernation when you banged on the top.
He might have needed to make himself a coffee before getting back to work.

Gary G. Taylor 08-14-2003 12:59 AM

Brian H wrote:

> justin*tyme said:
>
>> Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer
>> and ...nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of
>> power. I wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it
>> a gentle thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing.
>> Went to look
>> up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed
>> the on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
>>
>> Any thoughts as to likely culprit??
>>
>> Con-fused

> You probably woke the sloth out of hibernation when you banged on the top.
> He might have needed to make himself a coffee before getting back to work.

In technical terms: Applying gravitic acceleration to the case resulted in a
film of molecular accumulation on the pins of various circuit cards being
broken enough to permit current to pass. (Hitting it caused corroded
connections to connect again.) You might consider cracking the case,
blowing the crap out of the thing with canned air, and re-seating all of
the boards and connectors.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Plato 08-15-2003 09:02 AM

justin*tyme wrote:

> wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
> thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
> up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
> on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
>
> Any thoughts as to likely culprit??

I guess it just needed a spanking.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato 08-15-2003 09:04 AM

Gary G. Taylor wrote:

> In technical terms: Applying gravitic acceleration to the case resulted in a
> film of molecular accumulation on the pins of various circuit cards being
> broken enough to permit current to pass.

Love it :)