Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do cell antenna boosters work? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t176548-do-cell-antenna-boosters-work.html)

Brian 08-11-2003 02:43 AM

Do cell antenna boosters work?

I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped heh.
should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
comments by people who have used them

i'll be with verizon, great plans!

a 32 bit process 08-11-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Do cell antenna boosters work?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
<no.sp.id4rox@stny.rr.com.am.no> wrote:

>I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
>boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped heh.
>should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
>comments by people who have used them
>
>i'll be with verizon, great plans!

It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

Gil 08-11-2003 03:25 AM

"Brian" <no.sp.id4rox@stny.rr.com.am.no> wrote in message
> I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
> boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped heh.
> should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
> comments by people who have used them
>
> i'll be with verizon, great plans!
>
> We have a giant indoor flea market here and i was inside the steel

building about a year ago and my phone which is on cingular said
no service.
There is a cell accessories booth and i asked about the antennas.
The guy installed one in my phone and i got a strong signal.
I'm not reccomending them, But it worked for me.

Jimchip 08-11-2003 05:22 AM

Re: Do cell antenna boosters work?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
[snip]

> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.

[snip]
--
Think 'inductive loop'.

Brian H 08-11-2003 05:27 AM

Jimchip said:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

> Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
>
> [snip]

> --
> Think 'inductive loop'.

He has trouble understanding the first word, forget the 2 that follow.

a 32 bit process 08-11-2003 06:32 AM

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

>How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

Technically it's possible, the same way that elements on a parasitic
antenna improve reception even though they are not attached to the
line. The only difference in this case is that the sticker is a scam.

-= Hawk =- 08-11-2003 06:43 AM

Re: Do cell antenna boosters work?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> scribbled:

>I've got

You've got NOTHING, pedophile.

--

Exxy is my hero!

Thund3rstruck 08-11-2003 10:09 AM

Re: Do cell antenna boosters work?

Brian Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<IpDZa.81831$wk4.69793@twister.nyroc.rr.com>:

> I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker'
> antenna boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like
> $4 shipped heh. should i invest in one or do they really not work?
> just looking for some comments by people who have used them
>
> i'll be with verizon, great plans!

Cell phone version of Snake Oil, IMO...

NOI

Zknb 08-12-2003 12:02 AM

Re: Do cell antenna boosters work?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:22:03 -0000, Jimchip
<jimchip@localdomain.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
>[snip]
>
>> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

>Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
>
>[snip]
>--
>Think 'inductive loop'.

Think again...

But lets take a little theory for a ride...

Your cell phone antenna is a vertically polarized omni-directional
antenna, the most simple antenna design.

Complex antenna designs often have parasitic elements. One reflector
and any number of directors not physically connected to the driven
element.

These parasitic elements improve gain because they are sized and
placed at PRECISE multiples of the antenna center frequency.

How precise can you put that sticker on the back of your phone...

Another thing, when you add elements to an antenna you also change the
receiving (and transmitting) pattern. You get high gain at the front
but very reduced gain (less gain than with no elements) at the rear.

You no longer have an omni-directional antenna.

For a cell phone this would be a very bad thing unless you are always
standing in the same spot and pointing the same direction.

Jimchip 08-12-2003 02:00 AM

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:02:09 GMT, Zknb wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:22:03 -0000, Jimchip
><jimchip@localdomain.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
>>[snip]
>>
>>> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

>>Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>[snip]
>>--
>>Think 'inductive loop'.

> Think again...

I don't need to think again...you're including my sig, which was an
offhand comment on St00pid's "How can it work if it's not connected to
the antenna", not necessarily the original question. I could have said
"Think WiFi" and it would have suited *my* purposes.

Perhaps you want to give your theory to the original poster.

> But lets take a little theory for a ride...
>
> Your cell phone antenna is a vertically polarized omni-directional
> antenna, the most simple antenna design.
>
> Complex antenna designs often have parasitic elements. One reflector
> and any number of directors not physically connected to the driven
> element.
>
> These parasitic elements improve gain because they are sized and
> placed at PRECISE multiples of the antenna center frequency.

You're describing a Yagi.

> How precise can you put that sticker on the back of your phone...
>
> Another thing, when you add elements to an antenna you also change the
> receiving (and transmitting) pattern. You get high gain at the front
> but very reduced gain (less gain than with no elements) at the rear.
>
> You no longer have an omni-directional antenna.
>
> For a cell phone this would be a very bad thing unless you are always
> standing in the same spot and pointing the same direction.

I don't have a cell phone so the 'you' is misapplied.

--
"I give up, you don't want to see that there is a difference between
being in something and being in something that is attached to, a part