Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Users connected to my computer?!?!?! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t176453-re-users-connected-to-my-computer.html)

Mistoffolees 08-10-2003 07:16 AM

Re: Users connected to my computer?!?!?!

Replied in-line ---

Rusty Shackleford wrote:

> Hi. I'm running Win95C with no firewall (see bottom of page), and sometimes
> when I shut down my computer, it says that there are (1-4) users connected
> to my computer, and that shutting down will disconnect them. I DO have this
> computer networked with one upstairs, but last time I checked, one computer
> only meant 1 user - not 2 or 3 or 4. So, my questions are...
>
> 1) Are these 'users'... hackers? :-S

The message means that there are (or were) 1 to 4 "guests" connected to the
computer. It does include the one upstairs.

> 2) What are the main threats?

One can just imagine the ways.

> 3) How serious are the things that these these 'users' can do?

Whatever they want to do. Windows 9X computers are not known for any
security at any level.

> 4) Can these 'users' get access to the computer I have it networked to
> upstairs (running WinXP Home), which doesn't require any kind of log on?

AFAIK, Windows XP is not as secure as Windows XP Pro or any of the
Windows systems that were developed from the basic Windows NT 4 core,
viz., Windows NT and Windows 2000.

> 5) What can I do to prevent this? (Something simple would be good; I've
> tried installing several different kinds of firewalls, and none have been
> able to install while also keeping the ability of my computer being able to
> boot.)
> :-S

Best thing to do is to put the private network behind a router that works as
a gateway. Also place a firewall between the router and the local network.
On each local computer, keep anti-virus and anti-trojan software current.
If paranoid enough, add a firewall such as ZoneAlarm Pro, to each computer.

Rusty Shackleford 08-10-2003 07:42 AM

Re: Users connected to my computer?!?!?!

Ok. I have another question. Is there any way of getting the IP of the
'guests' on my computer (or anything pertaining to them)?

Also, if i could direct you to
http://members.shaw.ca/rustyshackleford/error.bmp (just because I'm a little
to lazy right now), does anyone know anyway to fix this problem? (Yes, I've
FINALLY found a firewall that can be installed on my system and let my
computer actually load Windows 95, too...)

Rusty

Surreal Killer 08-10-2003 11:05 AM

Re: Users connected to my computer?!?!?!

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:42:39 GMT, "Rusty Shackleford"
<rustyshackleford@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Ok. I have another question. Is there any way of getting the IP of the
>'guests' on my computer (or anything pertaining to them)?

from a DOS box (console) the netstat command is your friend:
netstat /an