Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: ECC / non-ECC memory!? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t174908-re-ecc-non-ecc-memory.html)

S.Heenan 07-28-2003 02:05 AM

Re: ECC / non-ECC memory!?

MrMagooba wrote:
> Could someone please tell me the difference between ECC and non-ECC
> memory? I was planning to buy 2 stick's of 512mb DDR PC2700 non-ECC
> memory (http://tinyurl.com/i8dp), but for 8 more I can get 2 sticks
> of 512mb PC3200 DDR CL=3 Unbuffered ECC 5ns 2.5V memory
> (http://tinyurl.com/i8e0). I always used to buy cheap gineric stuff
> (non-ECC) and have never really given it a thought. It's to go on an
> Asus A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard (http://tinyurl.com/i8e5)
>
> (for some reason I seem to think ECC memory can be put on a board that
> accepts non-ECC memory, but you can't put non-ECC memory on a board
> that accepts ECC memory -- but I could be way off!)
>
> Thanks.

ECC or Error Correcting Code memory is generally used in workstations and
servers. The motherboard chipset needs to support ECC in order to utilize
this feature. The Nforce chipset does not support ECC RAM. If you plan to
overclock past 166MHz, opt for the unregistered non-ECC Crucial PC3200.
--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

MrMagooba 07-28-2003 02:10 AM

Re: ECC / non-ECC memory!?

> If you plan to overclock past 166MHz, opt for the unregistered non-ECC
Crucial PC3200.

Do you mean this stuff:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/part...ule=CT6464Z40B
??

S.Heenan 07-28-2003 02:54 AM

Re: ECC / non-ECC memory!?

MrMagooba wrote:
>> If you plan to overclock past 166MHz, opt for the unregistered
>> non-ECC Crucial PC3200.

> Do you mean this stuff:
> http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/part...ule=CT6464Z40B
> ??

Yes. Crucial part number CT6464Z40B Works well with the A7N8X/Deluxe.

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement