Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Internet connect speed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t174646-re-internet-connect-speed.html)

Nathan Higgins 07-25-2003 06:53 PM

Re: Internet connect speed

taywood wrote:
> I have 56kdialup and have a personal reason for not wanting Broadband.

Like what ? (do you only use the net for email?)

> Over a year PCPitStop has tested the PC and each time found V Slow
> connect speed using Onetel.net.uk as my ISP. I have tried tweaks and
> fixes without showing much improvement.
> I now have Freeuk as a standby ISP for emailing when Onetel is down.
> Just done a series of Download comparisons over a day and using the
> same PC and setup, with tests seconds apart, Onetel is 11 to 22 and
> Freeuk is consistently 40 to 45.

Is that the speed windows reports as the internet connection speed in kbps ?
You should expect the same download speed (around 5.5k/sec) for both
providers. The connection speed given by windows is sometimes the speed the
modem is talking to the PC at, such as 115k, in these cases it's usually a
driver issue. If both ISP's give you roughly the same download speed and are
slower than 5kb/sec your phone line may be the issue. BT and other TeleCo's
often split line bandwidth to allow fewer lines and more customers. If this
is the case give your provider a call and see what they say,

> Is this difference reasonable?

yes

> Onetel is a big player and Freeuk is smaller with presumably less
> traffic but is there something else I should be looking at and
> questioning.

Their bandwidth into the net itself, possibly directly into LINX. This would
_not_ affect the connection speed stated by windows but would affect
download speeds. Even though FreeUK have fewer customers they may have small
'pipe' to the net or, they could have a huge pipe and not utilising it.
OneTel are probably much more efficient (at least they should be!). Low
connection speeds into OneTel would most probably be linked to line
conditions at either end. I would get onto tech support for both your ISP
and phone provider.

> The results of a Full Test comparison were the same but CPU load using
> Onetel was 3% but 6% when using Freeuk. Is this significant?

No - you are probably using a WinModem and with FreeUK being be the faster
ISP - would mean more strain on your CPU.

> Any advice would be welcomed BUT dont tell me to go to Broadband.
> Thanks

Broadband is the future if you want to stay on 56k you'll miss out on the
net in its glory.

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
WAP: http://wap.link9.net
[dot]NET: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

Jimchip 07-26-2003 02:38 AM

Re: Internet connect speed

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:12:56 -0500, Bill Showengerdt wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:53:27 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
> bleeding, "Nathan Higgins" <nathan@link9.net.no-spam> posted:
> .
>>
>>> Any advice would be welcomed BUT dont tell me to go to Broadband.
>>> Thanks

>>Broadband is the future if you want to stay on 56k you'll miss out on the
>>net in its glory.

> Broadband costs money. many people simply do not have enough money. The
> only way I could pay for broadband would be to literrly take food from my
> family's table.
>
> Give the guy a break. He said broadband is out of the question

I liked his statement "you'll miss out on the net in its glory."

So far, "the net in its glory" is looking like cable-TV <shudder>

--
We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

MELAD MARJI SR 07-26-2003 03:01 PM

Re: Internet connect speed

if using broadband takes food from the table than you should not use daialup
either cause that takes food from the table also unles you get free internet
hookup or you are stealing it have a nice day