Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Internet connect speed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t174626-re-internet-connect-speed.html)

Mellowed 07-25-2003 02:09 PM

Re: Internet connect speed

Try TCP Optimizer at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

"taywood" <taywood@onetel.net.uk> wrote in message
news:258600f9.0307250556.eb3b741@posting.google.co m...
: I have 56kdialup and have a personal reason for not wanting Broadband.
: Over a year PCPitStop has tested the PC and each time found V Slow
: connect speed using Onetel.net.uk as my ISP. I have tried tweaks and
: fixes without showing much improvement.
: I now have Freeuk as a standby ISP for emailing when Onetel is down.
:
: Just done a series of Download comparisons over a day and using the
: same PC and setup, with tests seconds apart, Onetel is 11 to 22 and
: Freeuk is consistently 40 to 45.
: Is this difference reasonable?
: Onetel is a big player and Freeuk is smaller with presumably less
: traffic but is there something else I should be looking at and
: questioning.
: The results of a Full Test comparison were the same but CPU load using
: Onetel was 3% but 6% when using Freeuk. Is this significant?
: Any advice would be welcomed BUT dont tell me to go to Broadband.
: Thanks

Bill Showengerdt 07-26-2003 01:26 AM

Re: Internet connect speed

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:09:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, "Mellowed" <Mel@noaddress.com> posted:
..

>Try TCP Optimizer at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Isn't that just for broadband?

Mellowed 07-26-2003 02:41 PM

Re: Internet connect speed

No. You select the type of service and then the pgm provides the settings
for that service. Dialup is one of the choices.

"Bill Showengerdt" <billhanna@boggletech.com> wrote in message
: On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:09:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
: the bleeding, "Mellowed" <Mel@noaddress.com> posted:
: .
: >