Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t174013-hard-drive-on-same-cable-as-cdrom-drive-runs-slow.html)

Barry OGrady 07-20-2003 12:32 PM

Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow?

I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a hard drive
causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Shep© 07-20-2003 12:38 PM

Re: Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:32:26 +1000, In this world we created Barry
OGrady <god_freee_jones@hotmail.com> wrote :

>I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a hard drive
>causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?

Not exactly.
Click here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

yugsdrawkcab 07-20-2003 01:32 PM

Shep© wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:32:26 +1000, In this world we created Barry
> OGrady <god_freee_jones@hotmail.com> wrote :
>

>>I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a hard drive
>>causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?

> Not exactly.
> Click here,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
> HTH :)

Ok... So where does it say anything about hard drive performance?

°Mike° 07-20-2003 04:55 PM

Re: Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow?

It would be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to get a
hard drive to run at the same (slower) speed as a CD-ROM.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:32:26 +1000, in
<3u2lhvk1r4sfhfn7936sl9r8tj2um5h6df@4ax.com>
Barry OGrady scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Brian H¹© 07-20-2003 04:57 PM

Barry OGrady said:

> I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a
> hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?
>

> -Barry

Does your "informant" ask all they're customers if they want fries with their
orders too?

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

Brian H¹© 07-20-2003 05:02 PM

Brian H¹© said:

> Barry OGrady said:
>
>> I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a
>> hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?
>>

>> -Barry

> Does your "informant" ask all they're customers if they want fries with their
> orders too?

their :S

Hoser 07-20-2003 07:14 PM

Re: Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow?

Barry OGrady <god_freee_jones@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable
> as a hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is
> that true?

I have heard the same thing, it was applicable on older computers, not sure
if it still applies today but I still apply the rules to any system I
assemble just in case since there is no harm.
Supposedly if the cd rom is running at a lower access speed it forces the
hard drive to run at the same lower speed when they share the same ide
channel.
Eg: pairing a udma100 hard drive with a cd rom that runs at dma33 would
slow the access speed of the hard drive to dma33.

Found the following info at:http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/cdrom/

Other Miscellaneous Tweaks

Particularly if you have an older computer, make sure that your CD-ROM
drive isn't on the same IDE channel as your hard drive. Sharing of IDE
channels can dramatically slow down CD-ROM and hard disk access. Also, make
sure that the drive is configured as the 'master' on it's IDE channel,
instead of the 'slave'. This can increase access time by allowing the CD-
ROM drive to pre-empt other traffic on the channel.

Also, using a CD lens cleaner on your drive can speed it up dramatically,
because any dust or other junk that touches the laser lens will slow down
its access time, just like scratches on CD media will. And while you're at
it, clean the CD tray and your CD's as well - every little bit helps,
particularly if you are playing a game that you've had for a while

And more of the same at:
http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...rformance.html

Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing: There are several reasons why
optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the same
channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same physical
channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI uses a much
more complicated command structure. Opticals are also generally much slower
devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard disk down when sharing a
channel. Finally, some ATAPI devices cannot deal with DMA bus mastering
drivers, and will cause a problem if you try to enable bus mastering for a
hard disk on a channel they are using.

Ralph Wade Phillips 07-22-2003 02:56 AM

Re: Hard drive on same cable as CDROM drive runs slow?

Howdy!

"Hoser" <REMOVE_abuse@mts.net> wrote in message

> I have heard the same thing, it was applicable on older computers, not

sure
> if it still applies today but I still apply the rules to any system I
> assemble just in case since there is no harm.
> Supposedly if the cd rom is running at a lower access speed it forces the
> hard drive to run at the same lower speed when they share the same ide
> channel.
> Eg: pairing a udma100 hard drive with a cd rom that runs at dma33 would
> slow the access speed of the hard drive to dma33.

Actually, not even. THAT problem is only evident when you're
running in PIO modes - !ALL! UDMA capable chipset AND drivers support dual
FIFOs, so if you can run in DMA mode, no way in hell.

However, if you install, say, Win98SE on a new motherboard, it'll
run in PIO mode until you get the drivers installed.

RwP