Velocity Reviews

-   -   gateway performance 700 won't boot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t173455-gateway-performance-700-wont-boot.html)

booboo2u 07-15-2003 04:00 AM

gateway performance 700 won't boot

I have a gateway that will no longer boot. when I turn on the power the
power light comes on, the HD light comes on and then goes off after about
thirty seconds but no POST test beep and no start up process shows on the
monitor. I am running win98se, 700mhz P3, 128 megs ram, the monitor will go
through its own power on test and says that everything is ok, that I should
check the cable connection. have replaced the video card and still get
nothing. it won't boot with a recovery disk either. I took the harddrive out
and put it in this computer as a slave but this unit won't recognize it.
anyone have any suggestions or a reason why I don't get any beeps when I
turn on the power.
TIA, kenny wray

PC-Component.com 07-15-2003 07:00 AM

Re: gateway performance 700 won't boot

"booboo2u" <kwraywray@comcast.net> wrote in

> I have a gateway that will no longer boot. when I turn on the power
> the power light comes on, the HD light comes on and then goes off
> after about thirty seconds but no POST test beep and no start up
> process shows on the monitor. I am running win98se, 700mhz P3, 128
> megs ram, the monitor will go through its own power on test and says
> that everything is ok, that I should check the cable connection. have
> replaced the video card and still get nothing. it won't boot with a
> recovery disk either. I took the harddrive out and put it in this
> computer as a slave but this unit won't recognize it. anyone have any
> suggestions or a reason why I don't get any beeps when I turn on the
> power. TIA, kenny wray

I've seen a lot of Gateways with bad power suplies. Everything else in the
systems is usually up to par, but the powersupplies die. If it's not giving
out correct voltages, it could mean trouble, and or no boot.

Check you MB capacitors too. Look for bulging tops or leakage. Bad
capacitors allow the system to run for a while then start locking up the
machine, and then eventually lead to system failure.

The monitor saying it's ok is normal, and doens't really help you in this
situation.

--
-=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-
Parts & Service

Brenadier Jehosephat 07-15-2003 08:17 PM

"booboo2u" <kwraywray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a gateway that will no longer boot. when I turn on the power the
> power light comes on, the HD light comes on and then goes off after about
> thirty seconds but no POST test beep and no start up process shows on the
> monitor. I am running win98se, 700mhz P3, 128 megs ram, the monitor will

go
> through its own power on test and says that everything is ok, that I

should
> check the cable connection. have replaced the video card and still get
> nothing. it won't boot with a recovery disk either. I took the harddrive

out
> and put it in this computer as a slave but this unit won't recognize it.
> anyone have any suggestions or a reason why I don't get any beeps when I
> turn on the power.

I killfile anyone who uses Gateway computers.