Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Pick up handset??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t173082-re-pick-up-handset.html)

Brian H供 07-11-2003 05:57 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

In a desperate cry for help Kim said:

> I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which
> is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever
> she attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect,
> after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
> machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting
> somewhere which is causing this? If not, where should I
> go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of technical
> support, I have never encountered this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kim

Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting the
handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

Kim 07-11-2003 06:15 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

Figured it out.....

Go into control panel, network connections.....highlight the connection and
under the Advanced menu, uncheck "operator-assisted dialing".

Thanks anyway!

Kim

Brian H供 07-11-2003 10:32 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

In a desperate cry for help yugsdrawkcab said:

> Brian H供 wrote:
>> In a desperate cry for help Kim said:
>>

>>> I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which
>>> is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever
>>> she attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect,
>>> after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
>>> machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting
>>> somewhere which is causing this? If not, where should I
>>> go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of technical
>>> support, I have never encountered this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Kim

>> Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting
>> the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?
>>

> Did you even read the question????

Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical support
department?

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

yugsdrawkcab 07-12-2003 04:42 AM

Re: Pick up handset???

Brian H供 wrote:

>>>Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting
>>>the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?
>>>

>>Did you even read the question????

> Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical support
> department?

What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

Brenadier Jehosephat 07-12-2003 05:01 AM

Re: Pick up handset???

"yugsdrawkcab" <idont@think.so> wrote in message
news:vkMPa.414481$3C2.11260294@news3.calgary.shaw. ca...

lifting

modem?

> >>Did you even read the question????

> > Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical

support
> > department?
> >

> What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
> an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

I killfile anyone that supplies an absolutely idiotic response that has
nothing to do with the question.

Brian H供 07-12-2003 10:28 AM

Re: Pick up handset???

I put my chocolate cake down when I saw that yugsdrawkcab said:

>>> Did you even read the question????

>> Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical
>> support department?
>>

> What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
> an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

Seeing as you have snipped the OP's question I'll place it back in the thread
and answer your question.

"I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which is asking that she
'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she attempts to connect to the internet.
She can connect, after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting somewhere which is
causing this? If not, where should I go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of
technical support, I have never encountered this problem."

Now in answer to your question to me, yes I did read the question.
Now you tell me, where does the OP say anything about which software is being
used to dial?

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

yugsdrawkcab 07-12-2003 02:32 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

Brian H供 wrote:

>>>Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical
>>>support department?
>>>

>>What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
>>an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

> Seeing as you have snipped the OP's question I'll place it back in the thread
> and answer your question.
>
> "I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which is asking that she
> 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she attempts to connect to the internet.
> She can connect, after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
> machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting somewhere which is
> causing this? If not, where should I go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of
> technical support, I have never encountered this problem."
>
> Now in answer to your question to me, yes I did read the question.
> Now you tell me, where does the OP say anything about which software is being
> used to dial?

That's not the point. The point is this:

"which is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she
attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect, after manually
entering the number on her phone, but the machine will not dial itself."

To which you reply:

"Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires
lifting the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with
the modem?"

Now look at the OP's statements above, then look at your reply. If you
still can't see what's wrong I'll explain it to you.

slumpy 07-12-2003 02:34 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

threw back my head and roared with laughter as yugsdrawkcab continued:

**** off kcirpcitnadep

yugsdrawkcab 07-12-2003 02:49 PM

Re: Pick up handset???

slumpy wrote: