Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does MSN Messenger create more vulnerabilities ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t173006-does-msn-messenger-create-more-vulnerabilities.html)

John Owens 07-10-2003 11:51 PM

Does MSN Messenger create more vulnerabilities ?

I have asked this question previously but my son assures me that things
have improved.

My question is

'does using MSN messenger leave your computer more open (and /or liable) to
attack by viruses etc. than merely using e-mail or web browsing'

The picture I was given before is that MSN messenger leaves a ?port? open
for the people who are always polling for weaknesses.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the vulnerability to similar
levels as surfing (or even going on news groups !). Are some of these chat
facilities better than others ?

AND
Would things get better or worse if I go to Broadband ?

For info I do have virus checkers, regularly updated . I do have a router.

Thanks in advance

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22