Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Huge number or funny character directories auto-created under ftproot of web server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t172817-re-huge-number-or-funny-character-directories-auto-created-under-ftproot-of-web-server.html)

dr.p 07-09-2003 02:51 PM

Re: Huge number or funny character directories auto-created under ftproot of web server

NHussain@Cara.com (Nadeem Hussain) wrote in
news:b9756a15.0307090634.265b3926@posting.google.c om:

> Under the ftproot folder on webserver, I discovered huge number of
> funny character directories auto-created, i.e.
> "X:\Inetpub\ftproot\com1
> \tEsT\tagged\by\-\for\moviez\3_Engel_fr_Charlie_(DivX)_German "
> There are no viruses found on the server.
>
> I want to know if this a Microsoft issue or Anti-virus issue. I called
> McAfee and they said that if there are no viruses on the server, it is
> not he virus issue...

You have been hacked. Someone is trying to use your computer and your
internet connection to distributed pirated movies (at least - you mention
lots of directories).

Read through this:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Secu..._20492075.html

and the others from google:
http://tinyurl.com/gfkp

stop IIS
run windows update - get all IIS securtiy patches
run a trojan scanner
run in-depth virus scans

you should probably back up what you need and re-install windows.