Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t172778-zipping-many-files-each-file-into-its-own-zip-file-with-same-name.html)

k* 07-09-2003 02:40 AM

Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
my dog.txt => my dog.zip
old days.txt => old days.zip
....and so on...

I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
files at once. Command-line is ok.

Thx,
k*

°Mike° 07-09-2003 02:51 AM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
Get the WinZip command line support add-on, so that you
can use a batch file to perform your task.
http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm


On 9 Jul 2003 02:40:24 GMT, in
<Xns93B2C826FB8E7krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133.1. 4>
k* scrawled:

>One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
>to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
>my dog.txt => my dog.zip
>old days.txt => old days.zip
>...and so on...
>
>I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
>files at once. Command-line is ok.
>
>Thx,
>k*


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

JabberSmith 07-09-2003 02:52 AM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 

"k*" <kr-usenet@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:Xns93B2C826FB8E7krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133. 1.4...
> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
> to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
> my dog.txt => my dog.zip
> old days.txt => old days.zip
> ...and so on...
>
> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
> files at once. Command-line is ok.
>
> Thx,
> k*


http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm - download the add-in for free.

Found that address in the Help files. You should check em out some time. :)



k* 07-09-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
°Mike° <ZHNTPDWBLECA@fcnzzbgry.pbz> wrote in news:3f2d8312.31749942
@localhost.dot.net:

> http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm


I already have that add-on, but I still can't figure out how to do it (I
know how to run wzzip and wzunzip for single files, but I can't figure out
how to use it for my purpose..) Can you tell me how? I tried "wzzip *.zip
*.txt", but that doesn't work...

Thanks,
k*



°Mike° 07-09-2003 03:49 AM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
Open a DOS box in the directory of your text files and type:

dir /a-d /b >c:\windows\desktop\list.txt

This will give you a list of the files in your folder, that
you can use in a batch file. You will probably want to get
a decent text editor with good replace functions:
http://www.ultraedit.com

Alternatively, ask in news:alt.msdos.batch


On 9 Jul 2003 02:59:10 GMT, in
<Xns93B2CB5544140krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133.1. 4>
k* scrawled:

>°Mike° <ZHNTPDWBLECA@fcnzzbgry.pbz> wrote in news:3f2d8312.31749942
>@localhost.dot.net:
>
>> http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm

>
>I already have that add-on, but I still can't figure out how to do it (I
>know how to run wzzip and wzunzip for single files, but I can't figure out
>how to use it for my purpose..) Can you tell me how? I tried "wzzip *.zip
>*.txt", but that doesn't work...
>
>Thanks,
>k*
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

Jj 07-09-2003 03:06 PM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
"k*" <kr-usenet@despammed.com> wrote in
news:Xns93B2C826FB8E7krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133. 1.4:

> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I
> want to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name.
> Example: my dog.txt => my dog.zip
> old days.txt => old days.zip
> ...and so on...
>
> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
> files at once. Command-line is ok.
>
> Thx,
> k*


use winrar - it does zips too

install it, start it.
navigate to the directory with the files in
select all the files
click add
change from rar to zip
change compression method to best
click the files tab
select "put each file into seperate archive"
click ok

Brian H¹© 07-09-2003 03:08 PM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
X-No-Archive: Yes
In a desperate cry for help Jj said:

> "k*" <kr-usenet@despammed.com> wrote in
> news:Xns93B2C826FB8E7krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133. 1.4:
>
>> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I
>> want to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name.
>> Example: my dog.txt => my dog.zip
>> old days.txt => old days.zip
>> ...and so on...
>>
>> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
>> files at once. Command-line is ok.
>>
>> Thx,
>> k*

>
> use winrar - it does zips too
>
> install it, start it.
> navigate to the directory with the files in
> select all the files
> click add
> change from rar to zip
> change compression method to best
> click the files tab
> select "put each file into seperate archive"
> click ok


But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds, in a
single operation.

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware



Jj 07-09-2003 03:27 PM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 


> But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds,
> in a single operation.
>


like this:

c:\folder\a.txt
c:\folder\b.txt
c:\fodler\c.txt
becomes
c:\folder\a.zip
c:\folder\b.zip
c:\folder\c.zip
in a single operation. Isn't that what is wanted?

better instructions:

1) start winrar
2) in winrar select all the files you want to zip
3) click the add button at the top
4) change the "archive format" setting in the new window from "rar" to "zip"
5) click the files tab, click "put each file into seperate archive"
6) click ok

Maybe it only works with the registered version, works here anyway.



Ben 07-09-2003 11:19 PM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with samename
 
Go to http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and download ultimate zip for free.
Then use the Batch Compressor in the Tools menu. Just keep adding files
until you are done.

k* wrote:
> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
> to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
> my dog.txt => my dog.zip
> old days.txt => old days.zip
> ...and so on...
>
> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
> files at once. Command-line is ok.
>
> Thx,
> k*



k* 07-10-2003 02:51 AM

Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with same name
 
Jj <nope@nah.no> uttered in
news:uvWOa.82997$%L.45056@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk:

>
>
>> But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds,
>> in a single operation.
>>

>
> like this:
>
> c:\folder\a.txt
> c:\folder\b.txt
> c:\fodler\c.txt
> becomes
> c:\folder\a.zip
> c:\folder\b.zip
> c:\folder\c.zip
> in a single operation. Isn't that what is wanted?
>
> better instructions:
>
> 1) start winrar
> 2) in winrar select all the files you want to zip
> 3) click the add button at the top
> 4) change the "archive format" setting in the new window from "rar" to
> "zip" 5) click the files tab, click "put each file into seperate
> archive" 6) click ok
>
> Maybe it only works with the registered version, works here anyway.
>
>


Jj,

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot..works great! :)

k*


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.